Volume I - Chapter XII

"-ted converging near the city's southern border. All able-bodied combatants are to report to the city hall immediately for further instructions. I repeat, a horde of Grimm had been sighted converging near the city's southern border. All able-bodied combatants are to report to the city hall immediately for fur-"

"-ink it would be wise to engage them on your own. Again, I-I'm really sorry, b-but I'm afraid I must ask. A-are you certain that you don't require any assistance, ma'am?"

"Like I said, I believe I'll be able to handle the Ancient on my own." She spun on her heels and made her way towards the entrance of the academy, her gaze firmly fixed on the three Bullheads that are currently making their way towards the airport. "So yes... please tell your commanding officer that they are free to redirect their forces and focus their effort on the horde of Grimm approaching from the south whenever they want."

"... I, uh, d-did you mean Specialist Cordovin?"

"Is he the highest ranking military officer in Argus?" Kiana inquired, her eyes glancing at the soldier that had been following her for a while. "The one in charge of the entire defense operation?"

"Ah... a-actually, it's, uh, it's a 'she'. I-I mean, Specialist Cordovin is a woman, ma'am."

"Is that so? My apologies, then... I haven't been staying in the city for long." A faint smile appeared on her lips as she turned to face the young man, her hand reaching up to brush against the few strands of hair that had gone out of place. "Regardless, if this Specialist Cordovin is indeed the one in charge, then please... do tell her what I've just said."

"... Huh? O-oh, sorry, I mean... of course, I, ah, I'll tell her right away!" He stammered, his face turning beet red as he quickly took a step back. "And, ah, i-is there anything else I could help you with, ma'am?"

"... well, I suppose having a backup plan wouldn't hurt." Kiana's smile turned into one of amusement, her eyes scanning the soldier for a few moments before she finally nodded. "If I remember correctly, there should be a few turrets scattered across the shoreline. Would it be possible for you to have them activated? While I'm fairly certain that none of the Grimm would be able to make it past my position, I think it would be better to have a safety net in place just in case something does go wrong."

"Of course, ma'am! I think the specialist will be more than happy to oblige!" The soldier responded, his face lighting up at the prospect of being able to help in some way. "I, ah... I'll see to it right away!"

"I'll be counting on you, then..." She spoke softly, her voice laced with a hint of gratitude. "Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll head over to the port and take a look around."

"Yes, ma'am! I promise I won't disappoint you!"

With that, Kiana stepped out of the academy and onto the streets of Argus, her boots crunching against the debris that littered the ground even as she took in all the destruction that had befallen the entire city. After what can only be described as hours of brutal combat, the once-beautiful city was now reduced into nothing more than a ruin — the air was thick with the cloying scent of smoke and ash; the remains of buildings and homes continued to smolder in the aftermath of the battle. She could hear the distant sounds of gunfire and explosions; the chaos of war still raging in the far distance.

Despite the devastation that surrounded her, Kiana still walked at a calm and steady pace, her senses on high alert as she continued to scan the area for any signs of danger. Corpses of both Humans and Faunus alike lay strewn all across the street, their bodies lifeless and still as they lay in the pools of their own blood. She could feel the eyes of the few remaining citizens on her back; hear the whispers of both fear and hope as droplets of water began to fall from the sky, each one washing away more of the crimson liquid and debris that had stained the ground with their presence. It was almost as if the world itself were grieving over both the loss of innocent lives and the carnage that had been brought upon it.

Her feet came to a stop as she finally reached the harbor, the sight of the sea finally breaking through the fog in her mind. The water was calm and beautiful, the waves washing over the shorelines sounding like a whisper in the night. Kiana took a deep breath, the salty air filling her lungs as she gazed out at the horizon, noting the faint light of the moon that shone upon the few ships that remained out in the ocean. She allowed herself to relax for a brief moment; closing her eyes and feeling the droplets of rain that continued to fall upon her face like a gentle caress.

"Still have nothing to say?" She spoke softly, her voice carrying across the water as if it could reach even the most distant ship. "I honestly thought that out of everyone, you would be the first to berate me for my choice."

"..."

"..."

"Choice... you speak as if you had much of a choice to begin with." The voice that emerged amidst the darkness was empty and devoid of any emotion; it was a voice that echoed as if it were coming from several different people at once. "Regardless, the doll is correct... you should've left them to their fate."

"..."

"There is no reason for you to fight for these worms. They are unworthy; weak and pitiful. They don't deserve your mercy, nor do they deserve your understanding."

She slowly opened her eyes, her gaze drifting towards the surface of the water where her reflection could be seen. Kiana allowed a soft smile to grace her face as she looked into the quiet, yet deadly, golden orbs of the Herrscher of the Void; her eyes tracing the long, white hair that flowed down the woman's back like a river of snow even as the Herrscher regarded her with a sense of detachment.

"... you know I can't do that."

"..."

"..."

They simply stared at each other in silence, each one lost in their own thoughts as the rain continued to fall around them like tears of sorrow. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the Herrscher of the Void chose to break the silence, her voice as cold as it always was.

"... so that's how it is. To think that even after all this time, you still insist on keeping that oath." The Queen's voice was like a blade, slicing through the air like a sharp knife. "You are a fool. No matter how you see it, that oath is nothing more than a curse you impose upon yourself..."

.

.

.

"... a fool, is it?" She uttered softly, her voice still carrying a trace of both hope and sadness despite the Herrscher's words. "Bronya always did call me something similar." Kiana's smile faded as she shook her head, her voice taking on a more somber tone. "Even so, I'll continue to protect them. You may think of them as nothing more than a failure, but I'd like to believe that they are capable of much more than you give them credit for; that these people are worth fighting for." She paused for a moment, her blue orb never leaving its golden counterpart. "Besides, I'm a Kaslana; and a Kaslana always keeps their word..."

The Herrscher merely looked at her with a dispassionate gaze; her cold and heartless eyes seemed to convey the words that the Queen herself refused to say out loud.

"Hmph... suit yourself. In the end, it matters little how long you wait; mankind will never be able to mature on their own."

"Perhaps," she conceded the point with a small nod, her voice barely above a whisper. "But that is still not enough of a reason for me to give up on them..."

"... so be it."

The Herrscher of the Void turned away from Kiana, her form slowly fading away before disappearing completely. She watched in silence as the water rippled beneath the moon's gentle glow, its surface returning to a calm stillness as her own reflection came back into view.

"... some things just never change. No matter what, I will always fight for all that is beautiful in the world." She shook her head and turned her gaze toward the vast ocean, her eyes softening as she allowed another small smile to grace her face. "Still... you could've just admitted that you care."