Chapter 3

Makoto and Haru were 28 when they became uncles.

Makoto paced the waiting room.

'Haru, what's wrong? Why's it taking so long? Oh god what happened?'

'Makoto, calm down. Ran is in labor, labor takes a few hours everything's fine. If anything happens the doctor will come out and tell us so calm down and sit down, okay?'

Makoto didn't reply but instead sat down, nodding his head continuously. Makoto's mother tapped Haru to get his attention.

'Thank goodness Haruka isn't a woman, otherwise when you went into labor I fear poor Makoto would die of a heart attack!' Both the Tachibana's and Nanase's smiled knowing just how true that statement was.

'He's just worried about his little sister.' Both the Nanase's and Tachibana's were sitting in the waiting room, Ren was on his way. Rei and Nagisa wanted to be there but we're tied up elsewhere, they would come the next day. As for the Matsuoka's, they were all in Australia and would be coming down the following week. Just then Ren came barreling through the door.

"Oh my god! Where is she? Is she okay? I knew it! I told her there was something wrong! I knew she was going to go into labor and she laughed it off saying I being a worry wart but I knew it!" Mrs. Tachibana smiled.

"Yes, yes, twins intuition. Now sit down, Ren. And stop yelling."

Ren huffed but threw himself into the chair next to Makoto, both nervously jittering. Haru hadn't paid attention to any of the conversation, instead he worried about Makoto.

Hours later everyone found themselves huddled around Ran and her new baby.

"Her name's Aoi." Ran declared. Makoto signed for Haru since Ran's hands were full.

Mrs. Tachibana spoke up, signing at the same time, "That's a beautiful name, but why Aoi?" Ran smiled as she handed the baby girl to an enthusiastic yet very nervous Makoto.

"Because of her eyes." Sure enough the little girl with small wisps of brown hair opened her eyes. Makoto looked down and was startled to see Haru looking back at him, but no, it wasn't Haru, Makoto realized. It was his brand new niece whose eyes were the same startling blue shade as Haru's. It took Makoto a minute to remember Ran's husband had blue eyes. Makoto was enthralled, this wasn't just any baby, this was his niece, a niece who looked like him and Haru. Makoto froze, Haru and his child, he loved the sound of that. If Haru and Makoto could have a child would they look like the small, fragile baby he held in his arms now? His mother chuckled almost as if sensing his thoughts.

"Makoto dear, everyone else would like a turn holding her too you know." His mother chided. Everyone finally got a chance at holding the new baby, everyone was equally surprised to find that when it came to Haru's turn he was just as enamored as Makoto. After saying goodbye to Ran, baby Aoi, and Ran's husband, who had arrived later, everyone shuffled out and headed home. Makoto and Haru didn't talk the entire way back home.

After Makoto and Haru showered and got ready for bed Makoto sat on the edge of the bed, Haru sat next to him. Haru began pressing light kisses to Makoto's ear. Makoto hummed and turned to Haru to get his attention.

'Haru, would you ever, I mean, if you were a girl that is, well, I mean I don't wish you were a girl, well, um, what I mean to say is, um...' Haru hushed him by placing his hands over Makoto's.

'Are you trying to ask if I'd ever want a baby?' Makoto nodded meekly. 'If it were Makoto's babies I'd have ten.' Makoto laughed loudly.

'Haru! Stop joking!'

'I'm serious.' There was no tone of voice to go by but Makoto had become an expert on reading Haru, enough to realize that Haru was being dead serious. Makoto smiled and lovingly stroked the side of Haru's face. Haru smiled back and leaned into the touch. Haru pulled back and looked Makoto straight in the eye.