The Call

Lucas Torres
June 17th, 2027
USA
_

________________________________________

We had just returned to the barracks to get cleaned up for supper.
I was sitting on my cot waiting for Rhyse to finish up.

Rhyse is my battle buddy. We aren't allowed outside of the barracks alone or without our battle buddies.

I decided to switch on my phone as I had time to spare. Immediately, I was bombarded with missed calls

"Woah, somebody's mother misses him a lot!" Rhyse laughed when he saw the missed calls from her.

The only thing is...
It wasn't my mother it was hers
But why was she calling me? And why so persistent.f

Before I can even question it further or try calling her back, our drill seargent walked into the barrack.

"Private Torres, you have been summond by the head office."

Confused, I salute him as he walks out to wait outside.
C
"Ohh, someone's in trouble," Rhyse teased me in a sing-song voice.
The man was a literal child

I flip Rhyse off before walking out to join our drill seargent.
I knew I wasn't in trouble, so why was I being summond?

And why was her mother calling me?

"Private Torres"
The voice of my commander pulls me out of my thoughts
I salute him. "Commander sir"

"At ease soldier, please sit down."
I'm hesitant but I do as I'm told and take a seat in front of his desk.

"Did your seargent tell you why you have been summond?"

"No sir, just that I was."

The grey haired man took a deep breath, thinking of how to tell me whatever it was. He wanted to tell me

"Son, what is your relation to Seargent Walker?"

My heart sunk in my chest.

It all suddenly made sense. The calls from her mother and the summons...
This can mean only three things
1. She is hurt
2. She is missing
3. She is dead

"She is my fiance, sir. Is she..."
He interrupts me before I can finish. "Her team was ambushed. She was on over-watch."

So she is okay?
But if she was okay, why would they even tell me about it at all?

"The team was hit by an RPG, which hit the oxygen tank to an underground base. There was no way of saving her team, " he continued

For fuck sakes! Would he just stop talking shit. Is She OK!?

I was starting to lose my mind. The situation he was describing got worse and worse. All I needed was to know if she is okay!

"Seargent Walker was hit with the debris and sustained quite a few injuries..."

I've managed to keep my composure untill now, but with those words I lost it. I wanted to slam my fist through his solid wooden desk. However that wouldn't go over very well so instead tears slipped down my cheeks, a look of desperation etching onto my features...

The man took his sweet ass time when talking. He had the tendency to pause in all the wrong places which was driving me insane. Of all the conversations he chose this ome to linger rather than getting to the point

"However, her doctor says she should be able to make a full recovery"

I sighed in relief but the tears wouldn't stop.

She is hurt, but alive.

"You are to take 8 weeks mandatory family leave. You are top of your platoon so you will still graduate basic the same time as your fellow soldiers. Go pack up son, you are going to see your fiance"

I slowly got up, not trusting my knees to hold my weight at the moment, went over to the door and leaving after saluting him once more.

When I got out of the building i ran to the alley between the mess hall and gym. I needed to collect my thoughts and process what had just gone down

Once I calmed down enough to seem fine, I went back to the barracks to pack up.
Even though I looked calm and collected, I was the farthest thing from it. My mind was all over the place.

My girl was hurt, how bad is it?
Her entire team is dead, how is she taking that? Fuck does she even know??

I needed to hurry up and get to her before I completely lost my shit...