3 - Restrictions and Secrets

Was that a nightmare? – or memory? With eyes wide open, Kathryn scrambles in her velvet sheet bed. Sitting up she wraps her trembling arms around her legs as she lets out a deep breath. Her mind was running over the images she witnessed in her dream. How could that be a memory – she was just a new-born baby. There couldn’t be any memories of it. Could it? Resting her head on her kness, there’s a few drop that land on her night gown. The tears she didn’t notice she held in, now were soaking through the soft material.
A few minutes passes before she is calmed down. With a sigh she drops her feet to the cold stone floors. As she is picking up her glasses she notices a letter right under them. It was Professor Fig with some news about the whole ancient magic situation. Well it’s best not to keep him waiting, the girl thought. Just five minutes more and she is doing her morning cardio, sprinting towards the Astronomy wing. A few dozen stairs in Defense against the dark arts tower and the girl was right in front of Proffesor’s office. “Morning Professor. I received your letter and came as soon as I could.” Kathryn greets Fig as she approaches him near his writing table.

“Ahh! Kathryn... Thank Merlin you’re in one piece. I heard about the attack. Trolls – in Hogsmeade?” Fig rushed towards the young witch and took her hands, as if making sure if she was alright.

“Sir you wouldn’t believe me… the trolls were wearing armor. It had that dark glow, the same one on the dragon collar.” Professor murmurs under his breath something about goblin silver and continues to listen. “They were there because of me… Me and Sebastian overheard Ranrok talking with Viktor Rookwood.”

“Ranrok was in Hogsmeade? With Rookwood?” The man lets go of her hands and walks behind his table, focusing his eyes on some piece of paper.

“Yes. The trolls were only a distraction so that Rookwood could get to me. And he would have if not for Sirona. She, Sebastian and the patrons at the Three Broomsticks intervened.”

“Hmm. I’m glad that you’ve got the right friends. Charming young man Mr. Sallow. Little mischievous but a talented wizard… Nonetheless, all of this is grave news indeed. If Ranrok’s goblins and Dark wizards are after you.”

“I think they are after the locket. You mentioned in the letter, you discovered something in it.”

“Yes, yes. An inscription. When I read it aloud – map appeared. Clever enchantment… It’s a map of Hogwarts, to be sure. But I do not know where it leads.” Professor motions the girl to look at what was on his table. A rather strange looking map. Kathryn leaned closer to it, noticing something out of ordinary.

”Sir, could they lead to the library? The restricted Section perhaps, I see traces of magic there. Shall we go?” Her fingers slightly tap the map and where she was seeing the traces.

“I appreciate your enthusiasm Kathryn, I myself am eager to discover what we may find there as well. But if our experience at Gringotts, let alone what happened to Miriam, thought me anything – it’s that the path we’re on is terribly dangerous.”

“Sir, how dangerous could it be? Perhaps we’re only after a book.” The map truly peaked her interest in this quest. Her eyes twinkled with excitement as she kept staring at the piece of paper.

“Perhaps, but we should be prepared for anything. That’s why it is best that you further you’re studies with professor Hecat.”

“But…” Her protest was interupted by loud thud.

“Fig. I need to speak with you this instant.”  The headmaster bursts out the door unannounced. “I have work for you. “ With his head held high he turns to Kathryn and the girl can swear she sees him jump up a little “Hello. And you might be...?”