chapter zero

LIMERENCE – CHAPTER ZERO

Dove Evans always knew who she was - who she wanted to be. She was virtually a carbon copy of her mother - Emmaline, both looks and personality. With auburn hair, fair skin, chestnut eyes and a few freckles dotted over their skin - if they had been the same age they could've been mistaken for twins.

Emmaline was a fighter - a soldier, a high ranking one at that, and Dove wanted to be just like her. She had always begged her mother to teach her how to fight so when the time came for her to enlist, she would be more than ready. Her father, Edward, however, resented the notion.

He knew the risks of becoming a soldier, he knew that more likely than not, they died young. He warned Emmaline when they were young not to enlist, he pleaded and even begged her, but his words fell on deaf ears. He knew she was only living on borrowed time, he swore to himself he'd forget about her and move on to someone who would be in it for the long haul, but he was in love, so he married her anyway.

Like he had warned her, Emmaline had died a few years after Dove was born. She looked just like Emmaline, and he resented her for it - it was like living with a ghost. As soon as she was able to form proper sentences he knew her fate was sealed, she was the same as her mother. As Dove grew up she showed more interest in enlisting with the military, showed more interest in fighting like her mother had. It killed him.

Edward knew there was no point in trying to disway her, it hadn't worked with her mother so why would it work with her? If anything, Dove seemed to be more defiant than her mother, so he thought maybe if he pushed her towards her goals, she'd rebel and decide not to, but Dove got her mother's intelligence, and that plan failed.

After years of pleading and begging, he finally caved, no matter how hard he tried, no matter how much he hated the idea, Edward knew no matter what he did Dove would find some way to enlist without him. He finally agreed, sealing her fate.