hug

Assuming the romance between binjin was truly after cloy filming ended ~

————————————————————————

And CUT! —

With cold tears and shivering lips, Yejin tried to compose herself after the emotional final scene where Seri and Jeong Hyeok separated for good in the border of South and North.

The loud applause and cheers from the crew did not drown the noise that is inside them.

Both Yejin and Hyunbin were still very much in character even after the slate was flipped. The hurt - the pain - the longing - the feeling of being helpless - the brokenness of Seri and Jeong Hyeok's story was haunting them emotionally. Although as seasoned actors, they are well trained to get into emotions on cue and let go when filming is over.

The attachment was not with the characters but rather with the emotions and realization of how terrible it is not to have the choice to fight for the person you love. What a terrible feeling.

Yejin's team ran to her side right after the director yelled "cut". Her personal assistant wrapped her with a blanket and another wiped her tears.

Hyunbin stared at her reddened eyes and nose, noticing how she, too, was still quivering from the emotions they evoked for that particular scene. He wanted to comfort her knowing how emotionally taxing it was to deliver that scene. He is still in the process of getting his emotions back, he knew it would take time.

It isn't the first time he filmed a heavily dramatic scene; he knew he should give himself enough rest to clear his mind and feelings from the character he just portrayed. He didn't get the chance to talk to Yejin after the scene. He politely bowed when Yejin bid goodbye to him and the staff as she was clearly exhausted from filming. He knew she needs rest, yet an irrational part of him wanted her to stay longer. With a heavy sigh, he allowed his team to guide him towards the car that would bring him home.

Back at home, after having a take out meal prepared by his manager, Hyunbin dropped in bed. He was exhausted and thought he would knock out the moment he lie down, however, his mind wandered back to the pain Jeong Hyeok endured as he let go of the hands of his one great love. He felt helpless.

He tossed around, trying to distract himself from the heartbreak of the characters. He was always rational and had no problems letting go of the character he plays, until tonight.

It was impossible to sleep in that state so he stood up and walked out to the bar counter. He decided to have whiskey to numb his thoughts and hopefully help him sleep.

Finishing a glass of whiskey didn't help. The brokenness of Seri lingered to him. Was it because Yejin played the role so well? Getting carried away like this is unlikely of him. Does Yejin have the same dilemma? Well, she's an amazing actress. She might have gotten over it already. He thought to himself.

The bottle of whiskey was long forgotten as Hyunbin decided to drink hot tea instead. The living room remained dark as he contemplated on how he can regain his peace and composure. Playing golf and meeting up with friends were some of the things he considered. He was beginning to feel light with the thought  of having restful days ahead.

Sipping the remaining tea in his cup, he suddenly thought of a strange idea. What made him think of that was beyond him but, the urge to do it covered all the rationality he has.

Maybe she'll be considerate enough to help me. He thought.

All rationality thrown out of the window, he dialed his phone as he find his keys and a sweater.

"Yeoboseyo?" Yejin answered the call on the first ring.

He stopped on his track, he was at a loss of how to tell her.

"Hi. Sorry to disturb you. Did I wake you up?"

"No. It's okay, Binssi. Why did you call?"

Releasing a deep breath, he winced at embarrassment at what he was about to ask.

"Uhh... I don't know if I should ask you this but the idea just came to me when I was contemplating on how to let go of Jeong Hyeok's emotions.."

Yejin remained silent as she waited for him to continue.

"Yejinssi, I'm really sorry to ask you this kind of favor but... can Jeong Hyeok hug you one last time?"

He paused to listen and assess her reaction but he heard nothing but her stable breathing.

"I think that would really help me feel better for him. I'm embarrassed to ask you this kind of request. I would totally understand if you refuse. I'm sorry. I hope you don't think I'm a creep." He was a blabbering mess trying his best to explain his position. The moment he asked her, he realized how crazy the idea was and was starting to regret bothering her in the middle of the night when suddenly, Yejin cut his thoughts with her calming voice.

"Binssi... Don't worry, I understand. I'm physically exhausted yet I can't sleep. I feel terrible for Seri, too. Just when she found someone who truly cares for her, she had to let him go without having any choice."

Hyunbin was grateful for her understanding and the thought of her still empathizing on the characters somehow felt comforting. He wasn't alone. She understands.

"Funny how I'm still affected even though I knew what to expect. I've studied the script and was prepared for the scene.. but... the scene we did.. it felt.. it felt so real. And sad." She continued.

No one else in the world would understand the helplessness of Korean families who got separated because of the conflict in the South and North more than their own citizens. Yejin and Hyunbin were supportive even in their younger years in acknowledging and helping the efforts of their government to reunite families from the the other border.

They knew this project could potentially become controversial from the get go. That didn't stop them from taking on the project. They wanted the majority to empathize with the real people who experienced separation because of state conflicts.

"I know Jeong Hyeok and Seri will reunite in Switzerland. It's just that, we filmed it first, and since we filmed the border scene towards the end, I.. I feel conflicted. It's as if Jeong Hyeok would never see Seri again." He openly shared his thoughts, grateful to have someone to rely on.

"I know..." She answered weakly.
"I think Seri would need that hug, too" she quietly said.

His heart raced as he quickly grabbed his jacket and went to find his car in the basement.

Just one hug.

For Jeong Hyeok.

He chanted repeatedly to himself as he drove his way to Yejin's apartment.