The luck in lack

Tordy

"I will be an exception. I won't fail like our mother did or disappoint you like daddy" I say whiles looking at my twenty-one year old sister through the dressing mirror.

Giving her full assurance of my unfailing support as she hits another milestone.

"I want it to be more curly at the ends" Mira gestures as I apply the hair-curler on her long black hair.

About thirty minutes later, we're done making up and getting ready for her birthday party held by her new boyfriend, Curtis.

It's been three years after our mother committed suicide when she found out our daddy had an affair with her sister and had gotten pregnant for him.

She could have at least fought for her fortune to give Mira and I a better life. It's only the selfish ones who commit suicide, I don't know how they'll regret that later, since they're -you know- dead.

Daddy had to run away in shame to live the rest of his miserable pathetic love-life with Aunt Sara and their kid in Italy.

We've done our best to look dead to them as well.

So here I am. Dedicated and hardworking just to put myself through college to earn a degree. Also, supporting my one and only sister to make it through Standford University successfully.

Mira is brilliant, cute and I believe she will breakthrough through successfully. She is more academically unparalleled compared to me.

"Let's not bring them into our conversation going forward. They'll suck the life out of my celebration today" She smiles whiles wiping a tear threatening to fall from her cheek.

Mira is right. She hates it whenever I make reference to our parents worst life choices and it's still clear we haven't forgiven them for putting us through hell.

"Okay, well I heard so little about this Curtis-guy other than you met at a social event and he's filthy wealthy...a son of a conglomerate" I inquire

Checking out her manicured nails, "Oh yes. His cousin is my best friend in Standford so she did the intro pretty-much, somewhere last month and when I told him about my birthday, a little about my life-story, he decided to throw me a birthday party. He's absolutely rich and secondly, because he can do whatever he wants with his billions."

"I see what you did over there Mira, but you don't go about washing your dirty laundry to people you barely know. To me it's so uncalled-for. Don't let them take advantage of you because of that and make you feel small my dear sister. At least learn to get to know them a little much better before" I say whiles zipping up my skinny jeans

"Enough of your lecture Tordy, enough ok! I'm tired of it. We need a better life and there's always a means to an end. Don't forget they say opportunity comes but once"

As usual, she never listens to advice and thinks she knows better. This is what most younger sisters do and they come back crying to you for consolation when things go awry.

Yes Mira is intelligent and beautiful. Any sapiosexual will fall for her after one or two conversations but as to whether they'll stick for long, that's another tale to tell.

That's why I do my best to keep myself from being too nosy in her relationship affairs unless -of course unlike today, I had to be present since it's her birthday celebration. I have no choice.