Our Spot

Sitting on the ledge of my apartment building's 68th-story rooftop, the city is sprawled out before us. It's our favorite place to get away from everything-Abe and me.

His hand grazes mine and I turn a little too excited to find a million-miles-away-stare on my best friend's face. Normally his blue eyes look playful and his dirty blond hair is perfectly styled. Today, he looks tired and messy. Not like himself.

"How am I going to do this when we graduate?"

It's the same questions he has been asking for months now. Only the rest of this spring term and senior year separate us from the real world.

I already know my plan. Kick my own ass until next winter break to make sure Stanford can't say no to my GPA, test scores, and impressive list of extracurriculars.

Abe, on the other hand, has a very difficult decision to make. He holds too big of a responsibility to fulfill his own wants and has a secret too important to be ignored.

Before I can remind him for the hundredth time that things will work out, his earpiece starts going off and I can hear his dispatcher barking out orders.

"Damn." He sighs. "I have to go, Noah."

He stands and pulls his mask over his head.

In a blink, he dives off the side of the skyscraper and disappears.

I hold my breath.

A moment later, he pops back up an arm's length from me. Floating hundreds of feet in the air, his body is surrounded by a cloud of scarlet.

"I'll text you later. We'll get pizza and play the next level of Captain Destructo."

"Cool. Be careful."

"No promises," he winks at me.

"Abe, I'm for real."

He ruffles my curly hair. Knowing if he isn't careful, it may swallow his hand whole.

"You know I always am."

Truth. He is one of the most safety conscious people I know.

With a smile, he's off.

There it is. Abe's big secret. My closest friend, the same guy I have known for over ten years, is secretly a superhero. The world knows him as Crimson Kid, a member of The Fleet. The premier team of holders-people gifted with superpowers.

Killer jawline and six-pack aside, his name even sounds like it is straight from a comic book. Alexander Abraham. He's always hated how corny the alliteration is, so he started going by Xander when we hit high school. I still call him Abe. Mainly because when I first met him on the school bus when we were seven, I mistakenly thought his name was Abraham Lincoln. Yes, the sixteenth president. Leave me alone, I was in second grade.

As I see my pal become a speck in the distance, I thank God that Abe has super strength and flight instead of mind-reading powers. I'm fine with keeping his identity under wraps. Actually, part of me likes that I'm one of the few people who knows. Abe trusts me completely. But for quite some time I have been harboring my own secret. One that could destroy my friendship with Abe.

I just don't know if I can tell my best friend, who has just flown off to save the world, that I'm in love with him.