Hanging With a New Friend

Wow. I was not expecting this. A dozen and a half grade school kids running around, playing games, and finger painting. The buzz is loud and it definitely smells like children. I like kids, I just don't always know what to say to them.

Clay on the other hand is a natural. He has brought me to St. Vincent's off 66th, the church where he volunteers for an after-school program. In the first thirty minutes, I find out he can do it all: arts, crafts, songs, homework help. A kiddo even asks him when they are going to have another puppet show.

Seeing Clay like this surprises me. In a good way. The kids love all 6 foot 4 of him. And he really is a gentle giant. When he fist bumps one or ruffles the hair of another, I kinda wish he'd do those things to me.

As I watch him interact with the kids, I can't help but compare him to Abe.  Obviously, they are both good-looking and fit, but in starkly different ways. Abe's fair skin and crystal blue model eyes contrast Clay's sun-baked terracotta complexion and hypnotizing honey hazel gaze. My old friend is firm and chiseled, yet my new friend is a mountain of beef and muscle.

I chuckle to myself. Quite frankly, it drives home the idea that I don't have a type. They are both gorgeous to me.

But it is this snapshot of Clay that makes my heart flutter. Though Abe is thoughtful and kind, this is different. Clay is so open and free with these tiny humans, yet completely unaware of how pridelessly he tattoos his heart on his sleeve for all to see.

"Come on. It's outside time," a little kid named Alec says to me and grabs me by my hand.

I look up and catch eyes with Clay. He closes the distance between us and puts his hand on Alec's shoulder.

"You are right, Alec. And I must say, your dinosaur painting is the best I have seen today," Clay tells the little guy.

Alec's appreciation explodes. His eyes and mouth grow three times larger than I thought a person could manage. It is almost as if his head has become a real-life emoji.

"Thanks, Mr. Clay!" And Alec hugs him.

I know Clay can see it on my face: Awww. I am sure he can tell my heart is visually warmed. Then the sexy sword through my warmed thumper.

Clay: half-smile + winks. Me: 💀

He turns his attention back to his young artist in training. "You know the rule, Alec. The painter of the day gets to choose the first game we play at outside time."

Without thought, Alec grabs our hands, pulls us toward the door, and shouts, "Hang contest!"

We rush out to the playground, and Alec sprints to the monkey bars. Clay moves in close. I feel electricity flood my nerves as his shoulder lightly presses against me.

"What is a hang contest?" I say before I melt.

Clay laughs.

"Alec is seven, so it is exactly what it sounds like. He wants to see who can hang from the monkey bars upside down the longest."

Clay gestures towards the bars.  "You said you wanted to hang."

"Ahh." I push him. "That was so bad."

"I'm so punny."

Our eyes meet. I challenge Clay by not looking away. He holds my stare for a few moments too long then looks back to the kiddos. His cheeks go pink.

"Mr. Noah! Come on!" Alec calls.

Clay nudges me with his shoulder, and I detach from our moment.

Not gonna lie. Alec kinda sucks at his own game. He only makes it about a minute hanging upside down. Not sure what it says about me that I didn't go easy on him.