A Dream of Water

Spring has reached Blythe's little cottage on the cliff

Spring has reached Blythe's little cottage on the cliff. The earth reawakens, eager to flourish and grow in the soft sunlight that dapples the weathered bluffs. Blythe observes the change of seasons with interest, noting how the sea seems to welcome its victory over winter much differently than the forests of her former home.

But all is not well as Brenton's mistreatment of his wife continues to intensify. He always has an excuse; you got too close, you should've moved out of the way, you did it to yourself...lately, though, he doesn't even try to justify his cruelty—putting his hands on Blythe at the smallest provocation.

Right now, the blonde is escaping to the shoreline once again after another such violent outburst. She attempts feebly to fix her face as she walks, not wanting to burden Calypso with another bout of worry.

The sea is a little chilly still, but the cold is refreshing on her feet as she sits on the edge of the pier. She doesn't need to wait long until she sees a fin breach in the far-off distance, Calypso always seems to know when Blythe approaches the sea.

However, Blythe jolts and pulls her feet out rapidly as she notices that rather than the shimmering sunset-orange she expects, this tail is marked with white and black spots—and it's not alone. A vermillion red fin makes a quick appearance as well before dipping under.

From the turquoise waves two small faces peek at her a moment later; a boy with short white hair and a girl with apricot orange tresses. They both observe her with malachite green eyes, ducking underwater anxiously when she meets their gazes.

The blonde recognizes those eyes anywhere...these are the children of Calypso.

As if to confirm Blythe's suspicions, Calypso leaps from the water, putting on a show as she soars through the air with a flourish of seafoam. The sight is awe-inspiring, inspiring tears in Blythe's eyes as the children join in, emboldened by their mother's glee.

The redhead gives a tittering laugh as she approaches the dock, amused at how the blonde sobs. "They're beautiful, Calypso."

The siren lifts herself up, leaning into Blythe's side as she watches her children prance among the waves. "I know. They're perfect...I couldn't be happier."

Blythe watches the children frolic, their carefree natures inspiring a smile on her face. "Do they have names?"

Calypso chirps, nodding. "Castien and Mariam."

The blonde turns her gaze to the redhead, grinning brightly. "It suits them."

However, Calypso doesn't respond, gasping. The siren traces the ring of bruises around Blythe's neck, eyes fiery. "I cannot stand by and watch him do this to you any longer Blythe—the next time he dares to enter the sea, I will end him," She growls.

Blythe's heart turns to ice. "You can't—he'll kill you! Calypso, your children need you!"

"So you just want me to let him kill you?! I can't I—" the siren's eyes turn mournful. "We are leaving soon to rejoin my people...Blythe, I don't want to leave you with him..."