Chapter 1 (3 Days)

It's 3 days before Princess Athanasia 18th birthday. She is sitting in her bed chambers on her bed reading a book from her library.

Their love story is so beautiful! I hope one day I could have something like that. I place the book on my chest looking up at my ceiling. I close my eyes and someone pops into my head, Lucas my childhood friend. He's been with me for years and yet this year is different, he's been acting different and well so have I... It's been a week since I've last seen him, I mean I didn't expect him to care about my birthday but, it would have been nice to see him. I grab a pillow and scream into it while kicking my legs. I hate him. Why does he have to be the one I think about. I hear a knock on my door.

"Princess, may I come in. I'm here to dress you for dinner" it's Lily said. "Come in!" Lily opens the door and walks in "What are you reading princess?" She says as she looks in my closet for a dress. "Just another love story, this one is more sad though". I walk over to my mirror and Lily beings to untie my current dress. "That sounds lovely, how are you feeling about your birthday? Are you exited?" Lily said, I thought for a second "I-I am, but I am a bit nervous" I said. "It's going to be wonderful, you've worked hard. I'm really proud of you princess" Lily said as she hugged me tightly. "Thank you Lily" I said as I hugged her back. Lily has always been kind to me, she practically raised me. She's right, I've been working hard to get here. This is my moment...

After Dinner

Athanasia heads out into the gardens one of her favourite spots in the palace.

Father is definitely trying to make my birthday special. I look up at the stars, "I wish you were here Lucas..." I pause for a second after saying that, I begin to blush my face as pink as my dress. WHY DID I JUST SAY THAT?! What if he was here and he heard me say THAT! He would never let it go... *sigh* Damn you Lucas, you've filled my thoughts.

Athanasia heads back to her room to get some sleep, but she dreamed of Lucas all night

The next day (2 days until her birthday)

Athanasia slowly opens her eyes as the sunlight shines through her windows. She sits up and waits for Lily to get her ready for breakfast. Today Athy decides to wear a more simple dress. On her schedule today she is to look at the decorations for her ball. She is also to decide on what she would like to have on her menu. Which means she gets to try a whole bunch of food.

"Thank you Lily! It's perfect!" I said, "You look beautiful princess, now Felix is going to bring you to the ball room first." I walked with Felix to the ballroom. I couldn't wait to decorate it. "I'm so excited!! This is going to be spectacular!" I said jumping up and down. "It sure is princess, I can't wait to see you walk down those stairs." Felix said, I hugged him tightly then I walked over to the staff holding the different decorations. The colors to choose from were gold, pink, purple, a light blue, red, and a teal ish color. They were all so pretty but I wanted this to show my transition into adulthood. "Hmm these are all beautiful, but I think I'm going to go with... the red and the gold. Oh! And maybe a little bit of the pink too!" I said, clapping my hands happily. "Wonderful choices, your highness," the staff said. Next was the flower choices, my choices were the Azalea and Gardenia.

An hour goes by and it's time for the final thing on Athanasia to do list

"One last thing, I just have to decide on my dress" I'm in my bedchambers with Lily and the maids. They have many different fabrics for me to choose from. "Lily, do you have any recommendations?" I said, "Well I've always thought you would look lovely in a deep shade of red." Lily said smiling, I've always loved the outfits she picked me. I look at all the fabrics very closely and I see one that catches my eye. This beautiful dark red fabric, it reminds me of Lucas' eyes. "I'd like this one please." "What a lovely choice princess" Lily said as she grabbed it. Lily and the maids said goodbye and left. *sigh* "I didn't know that there would be this much planning to it," I walked out to my balcony, I wasn't sure what to do now. Jeannette won't get here until tomorrow and Ijekiel won't be here until the ball. Ughhh! "Lucas! If you can hear me!" I paused "where are you..." I slowly sat down on my balcony during that cold sunny day, thinking of Lucas and wondering where he went off too and why.

Athanasia sat there thinking of her best friend and wondering where he went off to...

Meanwhile with Lucas

Lucas has been traveling around the world trying to find "the" present for Athanasia. He searched and searched but nothing spoke to him...

I've been looking for over a week and I still can't find anything. She's turning 18 and she's grown a lot, which is hard to admit because she is still as immature as ever. I can't think of anything suitable for her. "Damnit! Her birthday is in a day, I don't have time for this" I began wandering around looking in every store and shop in the market. It's around 10 pm and I walk into a library. She likes to read fairytales... I begin to flip through one of her favorite books. "The male lead looks deeply into the girl's eyes realizing she isn't the same girl he knew... she's a woman, the woman he loved. He leaned in slowly to give the girl a sweet kiss" I closed the book instantly after reading that... she likes this kind of stuff?! I pushed my hair back and something popped into my head. I know what to get her!

Come back to see Lucas return to Athy...