Trust Me

Set between scenes during 'Acts of War' and 'Mercy' Catherine wants Mary to trust her. (Fallout from Mary's rape)

(Disclaimer: all bolded dialogue is taken directly from the show. I own nothing.)

She knew the moment she saw her. She'd know that look of fear and shame anywhere. Mary's eyes told her everything, and it shook Catherine to her core. Those men who had invaded their home, had forced themselves on Mary, the way those soldiers had forced themselves on her as a child. She tried to shake off the memory and gain control of her emotions. It had taken her years of struggle to overcome her attack, to find some semblance of normalcy again, and by God, she wasn't going to watch the same thing happen to Mary. Not if she could help it. She looked at her, seeing in her mind, the little six year old girl who had once been left in her care. The one she promised to protect. She knew she hadn't done that before, but she would make sure she did it now. She summoned up the most powerful words she could, because she knew Mary needed, not only compassion, but strength.

"I know you don't want to be touched, that's all right. But you're safe. I don't know how you managed to escape, but you did. You are alive. You will survive this. I know this... because I survived. You know that, too. They tried to destroy you by taking your pride and your strength, but those things cannot be taken. Not from you. Not ever. We're going to change your clothes, fix your hair, we are going to erase any mark of their hands on you."

"Please, leave me be."

"We are. We are going to do this for you and for Francis and for Scotland and for France. They tried to diminish a king tonight by degrading a queen, and they will not succeed. Because the world will never know what they did to you."

"That's not possible."

"It is, because you will walk out of here and you will face your court as if this never happened."

"No, I can't. I can't."

"Yes, you have to. Mary, your guards saw must put to rest any rumors, immediately. These next moments of your life will either define you as a victim or a powerful queen untouched by a failed assassination attempt. They will define who you are perceived to be. Your place in history. Do not let them win. Trust me. Trust me and let me help you. Trust that I can get you through this, because I swear to you that I can."

Catherine offered Mary her hand. She didn't think she would take it, but she wanted her to know she meant what she said. Mary stared at her hand a moment, and for a second, for reasons she couldn't understand, she felt safe. Still shaken and sobbing, Mary extended her arm and took Catherine's hand. Catherine's breath caught in her throat. She knew what kind of courage that small gesture must have taken, she also knew the amount of trust it must have taken. The kind of trust that could not be altered. She wasn't sure how she garnered that trust, but she was sure she wouldn't betray it. She gently squeezed her hand to reassure her. She started to stand and held out her other hand to help Mary up. Mary stood and released her grip. Catherine reached out a bit, wanting to comfort her, but then retracted her arm immediately, not knowing how far she should push it. Mary noticed this gesture, and to Catherine's great surprise, Mary hugged her.

She froze there, Mary crying into her shoulder, not quite sure what to do. She very slowly let her arms raise up to hug her back, making sure she gave her every opportunity to stop her if she had to, but she didn't. She stood like that, silent for a spell, letting Mary decide when she was ready to let go. When she started to pull away, Catherine brought her hand to Mary's cheek and wiped the tears off her face.

"Come now, let's get you cleaned up." she said, ushering her to sit. She poured some water in a small bowl and grabbed a cloth off the table. Sitting down next to Mary, she squeezed the excess liquid off the cloth and began dabbing the cool fabric across her face to aid her red, puffy eyes. Mary sniffled a bit, trying to stop new tears from coming.