Lift A Sail

Set during 3.04 - 3.05. Has Francis been saved? Based on the promo for 3.05.

It was a particularly beautiful day, almost surreal. It was perfect. The sun was out, but it wasn't hot. There was just the lightest of breezes, the kind that made you feel like you could breath better. He'd been healed. He was alive. And he was going to get everything he could from it.

He stared out at he water as the light danced off of it, letting the details of it sink into his memory so he could see it whenever he closed his eyes.

"Are you just going to stand there all day?" Mary asked as she emerged from the carriage.

"I was only waiting for you." he answered  with a smile. They kissed and ran playfully, hand in hand, to the boat that awaited them at the water's edge.

"Don't forget to lift the sail this time." He said as she climbed in first.

If a cold wind starts to rise,
I am ready now, I am ready now

When they arrived back at court hours later, Bash could be seen outside sparring with Charles.

"I thought you didn't want to learn how to fight?" Francis said as he and Mary approached them.

"I didn't, but you were right. I should learn everything I can. After almost losing you, I know now I should be prepared for anything." Charles said.

"That's good to hear little brother." Francis replied as he patted him on the shoulder. "And you couldn't have a better teacher. Bash taught me as well."

"And he was also a terrible student." Bash said jokingly.

"Francis, there you are. I've been looking for you everywhere." Catherine said as she emerged from the castle. "Don't tell me you two went out on that boat again. I wish you wouldn't take unnecessary chances by going out there with out guards. I don't want you to have come back from the brink of death just to get killed by a preventable accident."

"Mother honestly, nothing is going to happen. You don't need to worry so much." he said as she put a hand on his arm.

"I'm your mother. It's my job to worry." she informed.

"Can you really blame her, after such a close call?" Bash said. Catherine looked at him a bit surprised but then looked back at Francis with a 'see I told you so' kind of expression.

"No, of course no one is blaming you for worrying Catherine." Mary said to her and then turned to face Bash. "I worry too, but this 'close call' as you have put it made us realize we shouldn't waist time worrying about things we have no control over." Catherine pursed her lips.

"Please just take guards next time, for my sanity." she said. Francis simply put a hand on her shoulder. She looked over at Bash and Charles noticing the swords in their hands.

"Shouldn't you be practicing with wooden swords? Charles you're not experienced enough to spar with a sharpened blade. Bash you should know better, remember what happened with Francis, you nearly ran him through." she scolded.

"I think that's a bit exaggerative." Bash argued, but then rolled his eyes picking up the sparring swords and switching them for the sharpened ones. "Better?" he asked. She nodded, happy she got her way. Mary and Francis just smiled at each other and shook their heads.

With the last sail lifted high,
I am ready now, I am ready now

{"Do you think he can hear us?" Charles asked as he peered at an unconscious Francis.

"The physicians say he can't. This is just like the last time." Catherine answered, worry lining her features.

"I don't understand, he was doing so much better." Mary interjected with a tear rolling down her cheek.