Chapter 21

"Come on E, talk with them. For me?" Yoko had started trying to get her to talk to Wednesday when they'd had their fight. They spent weeks apart from each other, and she could tell they both were miserable.

It was a bit easier for the vampire to understand it from both sides of the argument. Wednesday couldn't help their nature or the way demonic power corrupted their mate. However, Enid's anger was extremely justified since Wednesday didn't tell them about their situation. They were both in love and they didn't know how to communicate. Damn, Yoko felt fucking old.

Enid was rightly upset about the death of Ajax and being lied to by Wednesday, But Yoko knew to never loom a kill for courtship over the head of a demon, or any outcast for that matter. In the modern age, many of those old rituals were considered immoral and even illegal by Normie law. Yoko knew the wolf had no idea of Wednesday's customs, but demons and Vampires were very similar in nature and in culture. Yoko knew the Addams clan from both stories, and from family business, as both clans represented their species quite often during diplomatic meetings. Yoko knew of Wednesday, she knew their legacy and their power, so she had very mixed feelings about her best friend being Mates with Wednesday Addams.

"I can't Yoko! They tricked me! They were dying and made me bond to them! How am I supposed to be their mate when I'm still so angry at them?!"

"Enid you just need to ta-"

"Why do they expect me to love them when I can't?! Not like they want me to!" Enid was tearing up, her claws out and sparkling in the dim light of the vampire's dorm.

"...What?" Oh, Oh no. Fuck, this wasn't going to end well. She'd heard of stories of mates that didn't love each other, how they'd drive the other insane and keep them ensared in a cage with minimal conditioning. Yoko sucked in a breath as Enid tried to breathe despite the tears.

"They're my friend, and I love them, but not like a lover.  I only let them bond to me to keep them from dying, from leaving me... I- I'm still not over Ajax suddenly dying, I know they did it. I'm not Stupid, I could sense the dislike when they met for the first time. Yes, I love them and they're great, but I'm not ready to commit to them like this."

The vampire swallowed, her mouth feeling dry despite the  secretion of venom her fangs produced, and saliva which she swished nervously around her mouth as she struggled to think.

"I think we just... We should talk with Addams, have a calm discussion, yeah?"

————

Wednesday spent weeks away from Enid, keeping themselves from feeding from their mistress and bothering her with their presence. Every morning, they would be out of the dorm before she woke, still leaving food for her but never staying to say good morning. In the evenings, Wednesday stayed late in the library, hiding in the rafters and doing their classwork in the dark. Pugsley often requested they go fishing together, and since not by Enid's side before, they spent hours roughhousing in the forest by the lake, hunting each other and even getting into physical fights. Sometimes, Wednesday would become much fiercer, as if taking out their anger on him. Pugsley didn't mind it, but he grew concerned after nearly losing his eyes at least ten different times in the first week.

Even though he didn't want to die, he had to question their fits at some point.

"Hey Wedns... Why are you so like, angry? Well, Angrier than normal?" Pugsley gently nudged Wednesday's shoulder with his own, nearly falling from the tree because of his movement. He didn't know why they liked trees so much, but climbing up to their perches was something he'd never stop hating. Wednesday hissed, an angry snarl that tore from their throat and made him jump. Their tail swaying and moving quickly, knocking him from the tree with enough force for their to be a thud and a soft snap.

Pugsley flipped his body over carefully from the forest floor, staring up at his sibling, who's claws and teeth were flexed in defense. He'd definitely struck a nerve.

"Ok, Ok! I'm sorry! I won't ask about it again, I just wanted to know if you were ok."

"I'm doing pleasantly, my mistress is upset with me once again and I have the Sangue di cristallo (Crystal Blood) taking affect on my body."

Pugsley winced, frowning and sniffling despite the broken nose. Blood leaked out from the wound and he took a moment to inspect it before he grabbed the broken thing and forced it back into place, planning to see the school nurse when they went back to Nevermore.

"How about we try to talk with Enid? Maybe get her to understand what it means to be an Addams." Wednesday whined, arms coming to wrap around their bent legs, their claws digging into their knees as they sunk into the hoodie they'd stolen from Enid. It was pink and bright, making their allergies act up around their neck, but it was worth the peeled skin to smell their mate.

"Are you certain it will go well?"

"Yeah, we just need mom and dad to explain better, they're teachers now after all." The two shared a laugh at that, Wednesday letting out a dark chuckle as Pugsley snorted. The somewhat taller sibling spread their wings, feathers flying lose as they gently shook their wings out and jumped off the branch at practical break neck speeds, snatching Pugsley off the ground and carrying him by his arms back to the school.

The stout boy cheered, cackling in delight. He adored flying with his older sibling and wanted Wings of his own some day, he just wasn't sure he'd get any.

"If you yell any more, I'll be forced to drop the dead weight Pugsley."