Chapter 5 - Determined love

Tanjiro sped through the woods, running as fast as lightning. The glimpses of the moonlight steaming through the trees caught his eyes as he ran, making them flicker. His legs ached—especially the one that was wounded— and his head was pounding. He kept on moving, pushing through the fear as he went. He had to get to the hot springs as soon as possible.

His eyes focused on a gap in the trees, revealing that he was close to the hot springs. He could see the water, as well as the thick, warm mist emanating from it.

He squinted, trying to make out a figure in the distance. Could it be?

"Mitsuri!?" Tanjiro shouted desperately, hoping that it was who he thought it was.
He saw the woman turn her head, revealing her green eyes and her well matched pink into green hair. A flood of relief washed over him. It was her.

He made his way up to her as he gasped for breath.

"Oh dear, Tanjiro. What's the matter? Is somethingg wrong?" she inquired standing up from the rock she was sitting on.

"Mitsuri..." Tanjiro said, still trying to catch his breath ,"Mr. Hanakaba..."
Mitsuri looked on in anticipation as she heeded Tanjiro's words.
"Mr. Hanakaba... is a demon." Tanjiro finally said.
Mitsuri jumped back in shock. "Mr. Hanakaba!? He couldn't be!" Mitsuri said, looking dismayed.
"Yes, he is. In fact, he's upper moon one. We have to evacuate the village and get help for Muichro. He's fighting him alone!"
Mitsuri face tensed as she carefully considered Tanjiro's words. Her heart sank, feeling the rush of adrenaline and dread as she understood the weight of the situation.
"It makes sense... the area he lives in... and the string of sword incidents..." Mitsuri thought ,"You're right. We have to evacuate and find-"

"Muichiro won't be joining you." a deep voice spoke up from the forest.

Tanjiro and Mitsuri whipped their heads around,shocked, to see who the deep, groveling voice came from.

Mitsuri instinctively put her hand in front of Tanjiro, who was half crouched over on the floor behind her.

"You got here quickly... sun breather..." the demon said threateningly.

Tanjiro drew back, while also placing his hand on his sword, as if to fight his own fear. Mitsuri could feel sweat trickling down her cheek. Not even a second in his presence... and she could already feel the change in the air around them, the sense of impeding doom and dread...

Mitsuri drew her sword. She didn't want to be to hasty about this. She looked at Tanjiro and then back at the demon. "Are you the one behind the string of breaking swords?!"Mitsuri inquired imposingly.

The demon drew his sword in an overt manner, as if to respond to the Mitsuri's question with a warning. The grotesque display of the eyes on the hilt, and the fleshy blade appalled Mitsuri.

"EEekkkk!!" Mitsuri thought to herself, her face completely showing her surprise.
"What is that sword?! So gross!!"She thought, squirming in her own head.

"You're in no position to be interrogating me." he said "As a matter of fact, nothing you do has any meaning to me. Humans such as yourselves... are naturally inferior, and therefore destined to be trampled on by the strong." He said forebodingly.

"That's wrong!" Mitsuri exclaimed. "Your ideals are totally messed up! Someone once taught me that those who are born ,blessed and gifted, are strong so that they can help the weak!"

The man's face contorted, showing his sharp gaze to Mitsuri. She knew that they were in quite a predicament.
She shifted her body, completely covering up Tanjiro. Her hand was delicately placed behind her skirt in a way that Tanjiro could see it.

"Why does she have her hand there. Is she trying to tell me something?"Tanjiro questioned.

"What did you do to Muichiro?!" She boomed. As she shouted that, her hands shook and fidgeted in uncertainty. She could feel the sweat rolling down the sides of her head, and her hands becoming hot and clammy.

She began signing something to Tanjiro.

"I ...will distract him... and... you need to... run and... get help." Her signals read.

Tanjiro looked at Mitsuri, feeling a wave of uncertainty wash over him. She looked down at him for a moment, her eyes locking with his own. Tanjiro face was tense as he looked up at Mitsuri, sweat visibly running down his cheeks, but he nodded, affirmatively, agreeing with Mitsuri's plan.

Turning back around to face the man, she thought "Good, I was worried he might not understand what I was trying to say."

The man was carefully observing them from the distance.
"What are they doing? Did she gesture something to him?" He thought to himself.

Mitsuri locked eyes with the man, determinedly.
"I'll ask you once again! What did you do to Muichiro?!"

The demon stiffened his stance. "I left him back in the village, he won't be joining you anymore."

Mitsuri signaled with her hands once again.
"Now!"

"Breath of love, second form" Mitsuri declared as she lunged forward at the demon "LOVE PANGS!"
"Love breathing? How interesting..." he thought to himself.
She slashed her long, thin blade at the man, the follow through of her slash catching up at the far end of the blade.
From the corner of his eyes, he saw Tanjiro shoot to from the floor, scurrying away.

He quickly guarded himself, moving his sword in front of him. His blade collided with the woman's. He parried the attack, sending her blade flying back at her.
Although the blade spiraled erratically at the force of the man's parry,Mitsuri quickly took control of her blade again.

Tanjiro broke away from the scene of the fight, dashing towards the village. The man eyes traced Tanjiro's movements as he ran away.

"Is running away your breathing form? It's all you do." the demon thought, irritated. "I'll just have to catch up to you again." He sighed.

He fixed his gaze on the woman again.
"...Your form was interesting. I don't know of this... love breathing, but it was sufficient against my blade. I commend you."

__________________________________
Author's note:
Hey everyone! Hope you enjoyed the new chapter :)