The Black Abyss Called the Future

YOU GUYS. Thanks bunches for getting me to #308 on the What's Hot list for Action! It's a pretty big achievement for me seeing as how I'm usually lingering around the 600 and 700 spots haha. 

So chapter four was orignally written as a filler and it's so short that I mashed it with the original chapter five...uh don't worry about it haha :P

Happy readings! ^.^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Four: The Black Abyss Called the Future

               As soon as my mother woke up at 9:00 my memory vanished in the air like a thin wisp of smoke with only traces of its ashen scent. I sat up from the couch like a startled dog as soon as I heard her bedroom door slam. She looked over at me indignantly and without an air of concern and went to the kitchen where she groaned at the absence of ready-made coffee.

             I had forgotten to push the start button.

            “Figures,” she muttered loudly enough for me to hear.

            I shook it off and walked to my room where I completed enough online school courses for the next week. Despite the fact that my schooling life was currently spent online, it was not because I was too stupid for public school. In fact, I was pretty damn smart and my schedule was littered with a general prescription of advanced placement classes which was just fancy-speak for too adept for American standards. No, the reason I didn’t go to public school was for a different reason entirely.

            It was because of the unspeakable event.

         But I let go of that thought, I didn’t need it weighing down on me for the rest of the day. I lay down on top of my bed to straighten out my back which tends to hunch over after long periods on my chair. My ceiling was barren with scatterings of spider webs and the various insects that were foolish enough to get stuck there. Those poor idiots, how sad an existence is it to spend the rest of your short life stuck to the same crap until the day you die? Nothing could compare.

           It’s what makes me wish that I had more of a purpose in life than occasionally busting thugs in back-alley fights and having the nagging feeling that I should be trying to satisfy my mother whose anger mostly sprouted from blaming me for my father’s death which was understandable because I blamed myself too.

           And I really did used to have a purpose in life.

       In fact, I wanted to be president and it wasn’t just a childish fantasy that was just as comparable as becoming a singer or an actress. I really wanted to become a politician and just shake up the world. After the death of my father I resolved to get rid of the criminal scum of the Earth. And I had the right mind for the job, I had the skills, I had the plan, and I had the oh so righteous over-inflated ego.

      But that was only “had.” Those qualities were mostly gone and replace with bloodlust and the same desire to reform but without the help of the government. I wanted change and I wanted it now and I wouldn’t care who was on my side.

     It was frustrating to be stuck in the same-lower class apartment in the underbelly of Chicago without any direction or aim. I have no future. That though scared me the most. I always need something to do, without that my anxiety would consume me. Even now I had transcended from lazing in the bed to doing push-ups on the barren hardwood floor.