Chapter 12 - What's sex?

Warning: Maeve has been taught she can't say no to a man. Her thought process shows this💔
I am in no way condoning misogynistic abuse

———

Dress shopping went well. Freya and Rebekah helped Maeve navigate the overstimulating shops, entirely different to the calm little village she grew up in.

They piled up very modest but modern dresses and skirts, paying for everything that fit nicely on Elijah's card. Maeve was hesitant to buy any jeans so they didn't.

"Do you want to change into a new outfit?" Rebekah smiled warmly and Maeve immediately returned to the changing rooms to put on a jumper and skirt. She felt a little more like herself again.

"We need to go underwear shopping," Freya muttered to her sister, nervous about how to approach the subject with Maeve.

Luckily Maeve was very agreeable and listened to all their suggestions. She was mortified when they explained bras to her but quickly realised they were much more comfortable than going without, provided she chose the right material.

"Maybe some lace too for Elijah," Rebekah raised her eyebrows cheekily and gestured to a rather vulgar-looking shop front with nearly naked mannequins.

"Rebekah no," Freya scolded her for moving too quickly. But Maeve stopped her, hearing Rebekah's last two words.

"For Elijah?" Maeve froze up, never having heard such a thing. "What do you mean for Elijah? He's not seeing me in hardly any clothes!"

Her heart rate shot up in a panic. She couldn't wear those scraps of fabric. Is that what was expected of her? Is that what mates demanded?

Freya tutted at Rebekah for scaring her, "Maeve, Elijah will not expect that of you. He sent us out for comfortable clothing, mainly dresses like you wanted."

"But will he want that from me?" Her hands shook as she realised she was the property of Elijah, now they were mates. She couldn't say no.

"Maybe later when you complete the bond," Rebekah murmured carefully.

"Complete the bond?" She asked unsure what that meant.

"You know," Rebekah grinned. "When you have sex."

Maeve looked at her completely blankly. "What's that?"

Rebekah and Freya immediately stopped walking.

"What do you mean what's that?" Freya repeated cautiously. She was hoping Maeve simply didn't recognise the word.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Maeve's cheeks flushed red with embarrassment.

"How babies are made...?" Rebekah explained a little more but Maeve still didn't have a clue.

"Vampires can't have children," Maeve spouted the fact she'd managed to hear from Kol.

"Maeve do you seriously not know what we're talking about?" Freya and Rebekah stood in shock and stared at her like she had grown two heads.

"Of course I know," Maeve defensively snapped, upset at how stupid she looked. She could always ask Mikael later.

But the two sisters exchanged a look, they knew she was lying to them. Maeve was far more naive than anyone first realised.

***

"And here she is," Kol announced the second they all returned.

Elijah instantly stopped pacing and sped over to his mate. He had been frantically worrying that Maeve wouldn't cope and wished he delayed the trip. But the huge smile on her face as she walked in, confirmed she was more than okay.