Nine

"Get away from me!" Plucky yelled as Djim reached for him.
"Plucky, please! You have to understand! I didn't capture your dad because I wanted to!"
"I grew up without my father, and it's all your fault!"
Plucky threw a paw full of dirt at Djim and ran as fast as he could toward the river.
"Plucky, come back!"
Djim brushed off the dirt and ran after him. Plucky reached the river. He charged in and immediately regretted this decision. The water was much deeper than any he had ever been in.
"Help!" he cried, splashing and treating water, desperately trying to stay afloat. Plucky caught a glimpse of Djim diving into the river just before he went under. Seemingly out of nowhere, he felt an arm wrap around his torso and pull him up. Djim pulled him ashore. Plucky coughed up the water he had swallowed a few times before opening his eyes.
"Hey, kid. You're lucky I found you in time."
When Plucky's eyes focused, he noticed Djim's were focused elsewhere. Following his gaze, he spotted a group of guards approaching.
"Wait... What are they doing?" Plucky asked.
"You just got us in a lot of trouble," Djim answered.
The guards had by now surrounded them. Without any warning, they seized both Plucky and Djim by their arms, carrying them back toward the King's tent.
"What is the meaning of this, Djim?" The King's voice boomed as he glared directly at him. Plucky secretly wished he would not have to face the King alone.
"Your Highness, please allow me to explain. I confessed to Plucky that I was among the number of those who captured his father after the war. Even though I was under a spell, I still feel responsible for denying Plucky a life without his father."
Plucky felt the energy inside the tent immediately change. He looked up at the King and saw that even he was caught off guard.
"Is the bear mage, in fact, Plucky's father?" the King asked.
"Yes, your Majesty," Djim respectfully answered.
"I would have a word with the Plucky – alone."
All the guards inside the tent filed out in a single line, and Djim followed the procession outside. As scared as Plucky was, it took all of his courage to take a deep breath and kneel in front of the King.
"Plucky... Arise and look at me."
Plucky nervously obeyed. The King continued.
"I knew your father very well, Plucky. He and I forged a friendship that would last many moons. It was he who gifted us the Great Owl you encountered earlier. Losing your father to the Witch was a terrible loss, and even more so now that I have learned she doomed you to a life without your father. I would ask you now, Plucky. If your father were here with us, do you think he would be proud of your actions just now?
Plucky thought for a few moments, then sulkily answered, "No, your Highness."
"Were you, my son, I would not be proud either. I would remind you of your oath to me. In the heat of the moment, you tried to break it. If it were anyone else, I would have quickly executed judgment. However, because I hold your father in high esteem, I will grant you one more chance.
Plucky, I believe you will grow to be someone great in this world, as your father was. Please, do not disappoint me again. Have I made myself clear?" "Yes, your Highness," Plucky replied, thankful he would not see the inside of the prison cave again.
"You are free to go. Tell my guards at the entrance to send Djim in."
"Yes, your Highness, and thank you." Plucky stood up, bowed once more, then did as the King instructed. The guards ushered Djim inside before Plucky could do anything else. Back inside the tent, Djim stood alone in front of the King and bowed his head, his right paw over his heart. The King sighed, then spoke.
"Djim... When I learned what you had done under the Witch's enchantment, I was angered. Long have I blamed you for what the Lions did to our people. My mind was so clouded with rage that I failed to see that this was part of the Witch's plan. I did not realize she intended to conquer us all by causing us to feud with one another. In my blindness, I had you imprisoned – an act I still regret. While even I cannot return to you the years you spent in captivity, I can offer you something I hope you will accept. I will not hold you accountable for Plucky's actions today. I do commend you for your confession. I recognize that that took a lot of courage, and it is acts such as these that bring honor to our tribe. I..."
Suddenly, two cougars rushed inside. Djim and the two guards gave abeyance and stood over by the wall of the tent.
"Your Highness, we come with urgent news!"
"What tidings do you bring?"
"The Witch has crossed into our valley, her army close behind. She requests your Majesty as an audience."
The King, without blinking, looked at Djim.
"Djim, go with Plucky, and do not leave his side."
"Yes, your Highness," Djim replied and rushed towards the exit.
"You four, with me."
The King rose from his throne and led everyone out of his tent. As they approached the river and the Witch, a few more guards joined the formation behind the King. The Witch stood on the river bank. With a tap of her stick on the ground, the water in front of her parted so her hyenas could stand on dry land. To her left stood a hyena clutching onto a cloth of sheep's wool. Behind them stood a large company of hyenas. Plucky guessed try numbered in the hundreds. He noticed they were strangely silent.
"Your Majesty, it has been a while!" the Witch remarked, faking a smile. "Spare me the niceties, Witch! I would rather place my trust in a sea serpent." "Now, now, I mean you no harm... I have only come to collect what belongs to me."
"Under what pretense would I own anything of yours?"
"It is not a thing or a relic I desire... I have come for the bear cub."
The bear cub belongs to no one. He has, however, pledged his allegiance to me. As such, he remains under my protection."
A shadow passed over the Witch's face.
"Return the cub to me, and no harm will come to you or anyone who dwells in this valley."
"You betrayed a very close friend and ally. I have never had a reason to trust you. Plucky will remain here!"
"It is truly a shame... Time and time again, I offer peace in exchange for what is truly mine, and each time I am denied. Then I am vilified when I rain destruction upon those who defied me." the Witch sighed. "It seems this time will be no different."
"I would rather die a thousand deaths than ever cooperate with you. My tribe fled from you once... We shall never do so again!"
The Witch tackled, then, in a loud voice that reverberated throughout the valley, roared.
"Your king has foolishly condemned you all to death! You shall now all behold the extent of my wrath!"
The Witch and her army, now barking and laughing, turned around and marched back toward the plain. The Witch then disappeared in a plume of smoke. The King stood in silence for a few moments, a stern look on his face.
"Your Highness?" one of his guards tentatively asked.
"Long have I hoped for this day – when we cougars might restore the honor we lost so long ago. The Witch has promised destruction. She cannot account for the extent of a cougar's wrath. The bear mage shall be avenged!"
"Djim! I don't know how to fight!" Plucky pleaded.
"Plucky, Plucky, listen to me! I made an oath that I would not let anything happen to you. I intend to keep it!"
Plucky nodded and took a few deep breaths.
"Panicking is the worst thing you can do at a time like this... Besides, that is my job."
Plucky's eyes widened. "How can you even joke at a time like this???"
Djim shrugged. At that moment, the King approached, catching them off guard.
"Plucky, given the circumstances, there has been a change of plans. As you may have surmised, we now find ourselves on the cusp of war. I will not burden you and Djim with the task of learning how to fight. It would be beyond foolish of me to expect so much from you in such a short period. Instead, you will now serve me in a different capacity."
Plucky sighed in relief. Then the King asked a question.
"Now, Plucky, how adept are you at climbing?"