4

Seeing his old friend with a red suitcase isn't the sight Minhee wanted when he woke up from his persistent knocking. Nor was the orange from the sun outside, coating his dark apartment, something he wanted to see either. Yet here he is, groaning, rubbing his right eye with his right palm, irritated from the brightness of the hallway lights: "Why are you here?"

Then there is Hyeongjun, "you think I wanna be here too?" Face dry, eyes droopy; They're staring at the slight gap between Minhee's head and the door. His hands are on his hips, lip biting, "I had to get up for this." He's wearing a PJ set, tartan of blues and whites. Feet aching from the trek he had to the apartment. His slippers match though; On the top, at the front, on each one of them, are shiba inus!

If Minhee was just a little less tired, he would've been welcomed by his presence and would've pointed out the choice of shoes. But he keeps a poker face, eyes staring daggers, "answer the question."

From the pocket of his shirt, Hyeongjun pulls out a letter, "to me, now to you." His hands return to the comfortability of his hips.

The letter's already open. Minhee reads out loud, though the words go through one ear and out the other:

Dear Hyeongjun,

Minhee has failed his assignment of sending a person to the underworld. As punishment, I need someone to look over him throughout his time in Sydney. As I know Hyeongjun is currently residing there, I thought this would be the most convenient pairing.

Write to me once a week, and update me on Minhee. Address is 89 Gilbert Rd, Redfern. Near the station. Perfect for your studies!

Love,

Serim

"Love," Minhee's face reads puzzlement, "huh."

"You know he's lying," Hyeongjun chuckles, tongue to cheek.

The puzzlement turns into anger, "don't be so loud."

He grips his suitcase handle and roars, "then let me in before I wake up the damn floor."

With a sigh, Minhee accepts defeat. Scratching his scalp, he walks back into the apartment and lets the letter fly onto the floor. He flops onto the leather couch, leaving the door open. Hyeongjun snickers and leaps onto the wooden flooring. He pushes his suitcase to close the door behind him before stargazing around the room. Dark, so so dark. Grey walls, light brown flooring, ceiling lights turned off. The kitchen connects to the current room; A tiny enclave with the basic counters and fridge and oven and stove. Though it's spacious enough for an island.

Hyeongjun walks to the big window. Right below him is the train station, paths of track intertwine as he spots people lounging around the platforms. A train enters one. His round face then follows the sun, barely showing itself outside, only crawling through the horizon. Still holding onto his luggage and ruffling his brown hair, he asks, "where will I sleep?"

"I have a spare room over there." Minhee yawns, dead on the couch.

"Where?"

"Next to the kitchen."

Hyeongjun finds the door easily, revealing a small room with a double bed. He can make do with it. He pushes his luggage into the room and slides to the couch, where Minhee lays with closed eyes, "You didn't get much sleep did you?"

Minhee moans while the younger man pats his head, "yeah I spent the night with a girl. I got her number. She's cute."

"Oh nice..." Hyeongjun trails off, eyes looking elsewhere.

"Are you still mad about that?"

"No but you just have to- God how many women have you left?" Silence. "Exactly and all because you're a Reaper."

"You're being too loud again," Minhee mumbles.

"Is she the reason you forgot to kill someone?" Hyeongjun questions as his eyes return to the sleepy man.

Silence, again. Then a gasp.

Now Minhee's awake. His eyes dilate. His hand mashes his mouth and the skin around it. He sits up at a quick speed and turns to Hyeongjun, now sitting beside him. The sun burns. His words shake:

"Wait- I needed to kill someone?"

Hyeongjun's eyes might as well be the sun. They pierce the Reaper, his mouth drops. It's as if Minhee just told Hyeongjun that pigs fly. He points at the Reaper, then points again, "did you not read the letter? Literally the first sentence."

Minhee flies to his feet and races to the letter. He rereads it. His fingertips shake as his voice booms, "I must be so tired right now. Jesus Christ, I forgot who I needed to kill!"

"Wonjin Ham." He notices Hyeongjun frowning as he sighs, "which is a shame. I was good friends with him at uni."

"God Serim is probably so pissed but I should still be on his good side right?"

"Not after your whines about getting him." Hyeongjun looks down, cheeks inflated.

"Ah fuck me." Minhee doesn't have the power to scream through the building, "I shouldn't have complained."

"It's fine though because I'm your punishment!" The shorter man finally smiles, "plus he's dead anyways."

The older man finally smiles, "what a fine punishment it is. Who killed him?"

"Jungmo."

"Yikes. poor guy." Minhee then hears his phone go off. Back to being tired, he drags himself to his room. On his bedside table he notices his phone screen bright as day. He opens the notification. A text. To say he is shocked from who sent it is an understatement:

Hey! I know we like only really met yesterday but I need to talk to someone right now and my friends and family aren't returning my texts. Would you like to meet or something?

Oh it's Lotte btw. I forgot I haven't texted you on here lol

"Huh. Never thought she was a morning person."

"Who is it?" Minhee hears Hyeongjun from the living room.

He peeks his head out from the door, "the woman I went out with. I think she needs some head clearing and asked if I could meet her." He shuts the door, dashing to his phone once again.

I'm down. When and where you wanna meet?

You live near the city right? Meet me at Circular Quay in 30

Ight

"Of course you wanna meet her," Hyeongjun rambles under his breath, "now where did I put my phone?" He travels to his suitcase, places it on his clean sheets, and unlocks it. The luggage opens to reveal fine clothes, textbooks, nintendo consoles, and his phone. "I should really just hold on to you huh?"

"I'm going!" Minhee yells out as he races out of his bedroom, clothes changed, "where are my shoes?"

"By the door." Hyeongjun walks out of his room, face down at phone, "have a good day yeah?"

"Thanks, you too," he scrambles, putting on his sneakers. He then exits the apartment.

"He needs to know how to shut a door," Hyeongjun walks to close the door but then stops in his tracks. On his screen are 30 unread texts. He curses in a whisper, "oh shit- Lotte!"