12

Kiwi = A New Zealander

The bar is rowdy. Yells and celebrations are heard from each corner of the room; It echoes through the wooden bars and walls, the polish stench overridden by the scent of barbeque and hot chips in the air, flowing from the kitchen out back. Large tv screens show rugby fields, the crowds as loud as lions. Men in rugby shirts, some women too, watch around them, their stance is ice-still.

Lotte and Jungmo sit around the shiny bar, their pints cold to touch. The last time Lotte was here was after her and Wonjin's movie get-together. She thinks it's a coincidence that Jungmo invited her, and yet she doesn't feel ready to take on the sun-hot chips and the fried chicken bites again. But sometimes she has to brave the bold... or so she tells herself.

"You've already been here?" Jungmo gets her attention in a snap, "you seem to know the person running the bar."

She laughs as awkwardness runs through her veins, "yeah I haven't been here for a while. Maybe a year or two?" It's been two months. "But I used to frequent here when I started uni."

"You do uni?" The man leans forward, his warm breath touches her skin.

There's something off about Jungmo. Lotte doesn't like it. Actually she has no idea why she agreed to a second date. Maybe it was the way he said his command-like words at the end of that first date. Or the way his eyes burned into Lotte. Nevertheless, all she knows is that she feels unsafe. This is the last time they'll see each other, she hopes.

"Yes, I'm graduating next month. I'm doing a bachelor in planning," she tries to smile, "it's like planning cities and towns. Where buildings and roads should go."

"Oh that sounds awesome!" Jungmo's voice is enthusiastic. He holds some sort of cider, the brown bottle is nearly empty, "where do you study?"

"University of Sydney: Usyd," she gulps, her stance as still as ice.

"You like it there?"

"Yeah I made some good friends that I'll keep around that's for sure," Lotte forces a slight giggle, "the faculty is nice too. My professors think I should do a masters but I want to get a job first before thinking about that."

"That's a good plan," he grins and takes one last chug out of his bottle, "excuse me I have to go to the bathroom."

Lotte nods in cheer whilst he leaves the area. In a second she pulls out her phone and texts the one person who she thinks will answer as quickly as she does:

Minhee? You there?

I'm on a date and I just know it's shit

Like it's going nowhere

How do I leave early? Please this is

urgent

She places her phone down on the bar, scans the area full of rugby fans, then picks it up to see numerous replies:

Oh uh Maybe make an excuse? Like oh my mum's in

the hospital or something?

Actually are you in Surry Hills?

Yes

Okay I'm 5 mins away if you need a

lifeline

Yes pleasee!!!!

You're the best <<3