Chapter 10

Weeks had gone by, and mother still hadn't left her room other than the occasionally trip to the bathroom. Drizella and I continued to cook and clean, and we even asked Cinderella to help. She didn't even fight back anymore, she just stopped answering and it seemed like she hated me more than ever before.

I snuck into my mother's room, but she was concealed by the darkness of the shadow from her bed canopy that surrounded her. "I brought you some food." I try to smile, but I don't even know if she's looking at me. She doesn't want to speak, but I can tell she appreciates my company.

I enter the kitchen and Drizella is desperately searching every cupboard and shaking her head. "Anastasia, have you seen the jar? The one with all of the money, I can't find it anywhere."

"It's not there?" A wave of panic smacks me across the face.

She continues to search every cupboard, even though she already checked them all twice. "What are we going to do? How are we going to pay for anything? Mother certainly isn't going to do anything, and Rupert handled everything before."

"It's up to us then. We're going to have to find jobs in town." I suggest.

She nods. "I know a seamstress I used to visit a lot, she will most certainly offer me a job. Will you be okay finding a job on your own tomorrow? I know we don't go to town that often."

"I will be fine, don't worry, I'm sure I will find something. But who's going to take care of the house and mother? If we're at work all day, we won't be able to both." I ask.

She pauses, and then points to the ceiling. "We will have to ask Cinderella."

I shake my head. "I don't know, I don't want to make her clean the house when she's already been through so much."

"We've all been through a lot, she should do something to help out." She reassures me.

We walk to Cinderella's bedroom together, and Drizella promises that she will be the one who asks.

"No." Cinderella answers the question, without even looking in our direction.

"But why?" Drizella pleads.

"I'm not a maid. Why would I take care of your mother, she's never been overly kind to me and it's not my fault that she's gone insane." She continues to read her book.

"Please? Cinderella, I understand. But if you want to be apart of our family, you're going to have to help or we won't be able to get anything done." I add.

She cackles. "Please. You think I want to be apart of your family? I don't like either of you, and I definitely don't like your pathetic mother. I'm only here for the housing and food, so don't bother me again."

Drizella begins to loose her temper and grabs the book out of Cinderella's hand. "Listen, my mother is not pathetic! If you don't want to be apart of our family after Anastasia has tried to be kind to you multiple times, then that's fine. But if you want to stay here, in our house, you better start helping out or you will be out on the street soon enough!"

She stomps out of the room and leaves me alone with the unpredictable girl. "Please, Cinderella?" I plead one last time.

"Fine, I'll clean your stupid house." She says and turns back to her book.

The next day, Drizella and I walk towards the town, and it feels like it takes hours. The thickness of the skirt on my purple dress makes me feel ten times warmer. I wipe the sweat from my forehead, and finally the town comes into my vision. Drizella leaves to go find the fabric shop, and I continue to look around. Rows of consecutive small shops stand on both sides of me, as if I'm walking through an aisle. Little bakeries, markets, corner stores, and fine dining surround me. I turn around and almost knock over a little wagon filled with flower bouquets and reefs. "Are you okay, my dear?" An old man, standing by the wagon, asks.

I regain my balance and smile, embarrassed. "I'm so sorry, yes I'm fine."

He grabs a heart shaped reef, filled with pink petals and holds it out in front of me. "What do you think? Have a special person this would be perfect for?"

I giggle and shake my head. "No I don't, sorry."

I continue walking, and notice a box of kittens sitting on the ground with a sign that reads, 'Free kittens', in front of it. A little black kitten peeks out, and its sparkling green eyes remind me of my mother. "If mother won't to talk to me, maybe she will talk to you." I say to the little black kitten and place him in my basket.

I come across a small bakery, with a very kind young man who offers me freshly, baked croissants. I ask him about a job and he tells me that I can start tomorrow.

I remain exploring the town, while I wait for Drizella to be finished and meet me by the fountain like we planned.

"Come back!" I yell, as the little black kitten jumps out of the basket and runs off. I can already tell this little kitten is going to be a whole lot of trouble. I run as fast as I can in my thick dress, and I follow the kitten who runs through an alley.

I turn the corner and recognize the dazzling fountain, and the little black kitten who remains satisfied in the arms of a strange man. He has dark black hair, which is cleanly cut, and he's wearing something that looks similar to what Rupert used to wear.

He turns around, and smiles. "Is this your kitten?" He strokes the kitten's head in small circles.

I nod, and smile. "Yeah, thank you."

He hands me the kitten, who crawls back into my basket licking my palm. "What's your name?"

"I'm Anastasia, and you?" I shake his hand, and try my best not to blush.

He flashes me a delighted smile and laughs. "Before I tell you, do you promise to keep a secret?"

I nod my head, a little too eagerly. "Of course."

"Anastasia?" Drizella is standing at the entrance of the alley, staring at the kitten with a confused look on her face.

"Oh, there you are." I say, looking at Drizella and back at the man.

Drizella notices the man and grabs my hand. "We should really get home and make sure Cinderella hasn't burned the house down."

I nod and look back at the man, offering a disappointed smile. "I'm sorry, it was nice to meet you."

"I hope to see you again soon, Anastasia. I don't come to town often, will you be here next week?" He leans forward and kisses my hand.

I giggle and feel Drizella rolling her eyes beside me. She starts to drag me away as I struggle to finish my sentence. "Of course, I didn't catch your name?"

He smiles and I watch his figure grow smaller and smaller as Drizella pulls me further away. "Charming!" He yells.