Chapter 14

"What?" Cinderella asks.  I can see the confusion in everyone's eyes because no one would've ever expected me to say something like that.

"I mean, you can't go after what happened today." I say discretely.  I don't want to tell Drizella and my mother what Cinderella did today, unless she wants them to know herself.

"Why not?"  She asks.

I look at my mother and Drizella, who are staring at me, waiting for me to tell them what happened.  "The palace officer, he will recognize you if you go.  I don't think we can take that chance."  I whisper. 

"What happened?" My mother demands.

I look to Cinderella and her eyes avoid meeting with mine.  "It's not my thing to tell."

My mother walks up to Cinderella, and I've never realized how much taller she is until now.  "Well?"

Cinderella begins to explain the story, true to detail.  She doesn't even try to pretend that stealing the flower was an accident, but she admits to everything and I find myself feeling impressed. 

We're all standing in silence and staring at my mother, waiting for her to say something.  "Cinderella, go to your room."

"I'm sorry." Cinderella whispers.

"You will stay home on the night of the ball." Mother smirks. It almost seems that my mother is satisfied that Cinderella won't have the chance of a lifetime.

"Please, please let me go. It's not fair."  Cinderella pleads.

 "I'm not trying to be unfair, I would do the same if it were Anastasia or Drizella.  I mean, now that your father is gone, I see myself as almost your mother. And I want to help you become the best woman you can be.  And to do that I have to teach you that you can't do things without consequences."  Mother says.

"Please, give me a chance.  Let me prove to you that I can change, I'll do anything.  Give me a task, anything, and if I finish it in time for the ball you could reconsider letting me go." Cinderella cries, tears pool at the bottom corners of her eyes. 

Mother nods.  "That sounds fair."

            Cinderella's eyes widen with hope.  "Thank you, stepmother! I won't let you down.  Just tell me what to do."

            "I will make a list of things for you to do around the house.  You can also help Anastasia and Drizella with their dresses, and you can also use the fabric to make one for yourself if you want."  Mother offers. 

            Mother makes a list, which almost reaches the floor.  "These are all things you must finish before the ball, and if you complete them all then you can come with us." 

            "Don't you think that's a little intense, mother?  It's almost impossible for her to do all of that before next week."  I say.

            "She needs to be punished.  She needs to be punished for what she has done." Mother whispers, in a monotone voice.

Would mother really punish Cinderella so harshly just for stealing a flower?  I almost stop myself from even considering my next thought.  What if mother is punishing Cinderella for everything that her father did?