Chapter One - Part Four

PART FOUR OF SIMON'S BOOK:
What is this? My dark thoughts beckoning me into insanity? These monsters, these nightmares, they lurk everywhere. There's not a place where I can't find a grotesque creature built with determination of harming my very way of thinking. What's worse, I'm convinced I'm stuck in this way of thinking. This hellish world is my mind. Everything is created by my thoughts. My suicidial, my morbid, my selfish wants are the causes of these abominations.

INSIDE SIMON'S MIND:
The defeat of the Sawer was a mild celebration. It's form had self-destructed, nothing but fleshy organs and remains of limbs were all that was left at my feet. I knew paranoia would hit me soon; to cause me to check my back constantly. I grabbed my bloody butterfly knife that lay in the puddle of flesh and switched on my mobile for light. I turned, my eyes observing the dark room. I shuddered. Exploded bodies didn't smell good, or feel good to be around. I quickly made my way outside, to find myself wandering down the street lost in thought.

I slipped my hands into my hoodie's deep pockets. I felt like I remembered this street, something I did before my accident. I stopped for a moment, my gaze dropping to the pavement. Then I remembered. Sophie.

Sophie happened here. My rejection happened here. I closed my eyes, the memory stinging. I had loved Sophie for years, or even a decade. But she led me on, and then told me she didn't love me in the same way I loved her. I remembered breaking down on my knees and begging her.

It was obvious this memory hurt. I shook it off, continuing to venture down the road. I turned the corner into an alley. After a long climb of various flights of stairs, I found myself at the roof of the apartment building. I gazed over at the edge, confident I was seeing things.

I thought I could make out Sophie's figure. I stepped closer, positive it was her, or just my mind playing tricks again. It was her. She turned and frowned at me.

"Simon? What are you doing here?"