4. Act

"You could've fooled me, you deserve an Oscar for that acting." You say, rolling your eyes at him.

"I know right, I'm good." He says, looking proud of himself.
"Well if you didn't come here for medic, then why exactly are you here?" You ask, knowing what his answer will be.

"Why were you ignoring me?" He asks, moving closer to you. "I text you so many times, but you never answered."

"Because, I don't want to waste your time; you should be focusing on training." You say, sighing and looking away from Mason. "See, even now you faked getting an injury to come here."

"It's not a waste of time, you heard me on the phone. I like you. I want to be with you." Mason says touching your hand and maintaining eye contact.

"You don't like me. You don't even know me." You say, regretting the words as they leave your mouth. Mason looks disappointed at the sentence, but lets go of your hand.

"Them let me get to know you. Tell me about yourself." He says, smiling. "I know you don't really remember me, but we've met before; and I'm not talking about the last time you were an apprentice for England.

"What do you mean..?" You ask, intrigued to find out what he's talking about.

He sits down on the medical bed next to you, and turns his head to look at you. "You used to work as a medic for the Chelsea academy players, right?" You nod, anticipating his next words.

"You were the medic who stayed by my side when I fractured my ankle, you talked to me the whole time." He says while smiling. "It's me."

It takes you a moment to understand the things he's telling you. That Chelsea academy player was the first Boy you ever felt a real connection with, and now he's sitting right next to you.

"That was... you?" You ask, you mind flooding with questions and emotions. "Why did you just leave without saying goodbye?"

"Yes, it was me. And I know, I'm so sorry." He says, looking regretful. "I had no choice, my family and I moved away for a while, and my parents didn't give me time to say any goodbyes.

You feel for him, he is clearly sorry. "I can't believe all this time it was you. I didn't even notice, you look so different now." You laugh, admiring his features.

"I know that was years ago and we were only 16, but I felt a connection. We talked for hours straight in the back of that van, and it felt like we had been friends for years." He says, smiling warmly. "I want to get to know you more, like that night. Please, give me a chance to learn who you really are, Y/n.

You suddenly notice how close the two of you are sitting on the bed, and you slowly move closer.

He puts his hand on your waist and leans in, but before you can let your lips touch, you hear the door opening.

You both immediately flinch back, and turn to see Gareth Southgate standing in the doorway, with a slightly annoyed look on his face.

You quickly stand up from the bed, while Mason shuffles further away from you. Gareth slightly squints his eyes, before saying "Mason, I think you're good to go back to training now."

Mason stands up and walks over to the door, looking back at you before he exits. Gareth gives you a nod, before closing the door behind them both.

The past two days have been the craziest of your life. First you find out that Mason amount likes you, and second, you find out that you met a few years back- and fell in love in the matter of hours?

"This is something straight out of a book, there's no way this could actually be my life"  You used to doubt that a promotion can change someone's whole life, but now you completely understand.