nine*

We won the game, thankfully.

The team took a few minutes to beat their chests, celebrating and cheering to win the first game of the season. I felt a smile spread across my own cheeks, catching my parents darting down the stairs with a reluctant Alex in tow. My dad was clutching his unzipped laptop bag to his chest. I skated up to where they would be, waving to my family.

"Congratulations, Luke!" My mom was ecstatic, and I stumbled in her arms as I left the rink. "I knew you would make a great captain! Oh, that was wonderful!"

I laughed and shrugged her off, grabbing her hands in mine. "Thanks, Ma."

I stumbled forward when my dad patted me a little too hard on the shoulder, catching myself with Mom's arm. "Congrats, kiddo. You did good scoring that basket."

I hadn't been the one to score any of the goals that game, but I smiled at him anyway. "Thanks. I have to run, but I appreciate you guys coming."

Mom nodded. "Of course. Please be safe tonight, okay? You have a ride home?"

"Yeah, Ma. Don't worry, I'll be home before you wake up, okay?" I gave her a reassuring smile, which she returned.

"Alright. We can celebrate more this weekend," she said. "Now, go! Have fun."

I thanked them again, ruffling a disgruntled Alex's hair and kissing my mom on the cheek before skating over to where the rest of the team was starting to pick up their things. Thomas waved me over.

"I'll meet you in the parking lot in twenty!" he said, heading towards the locker rooms. I nodded, sending him a thumbs-up and starting to pick up my things.

Catching a quick glimpse at the time on my phone, I made my way down the hall, shouldering past the swinging locker room door and hurrying inside. Quickly, I dropped my bag on the bench and opened my locker, pulling off my shirt and grabbing my shampoo and soap out of my bag. My pants went next, leaving me in nothing but my boxer briefs. I was grabbing my towel out of my locker when I heard the door swing open. I paid it little mind as I grabbed my things to take a shower, but when I closed it and turned to lock it back up again, my gaze met with a very familiar pair of blue eyes.

Beau was standing at the doorway, dressed in an oversized, lavender shirt and a pair of comfy-looking sweats. He was pointedly avoiding looking at me as he made his way to the bench next to mine, a bag slung over one shoulder while his other hand held his skates by the laces. He dropped both on the floor, finally sparing a glance over at me.

"Hey."

I swallowed. "Hey."

He sat on the bench and leaning down to unzip his bag. "I didn't think the hockey players changed in this room."

"They don't. I just have a locker in here," I explained.

"Ah. You're friends with the owner, right?"

I hummed in affirmation. "Yeah, uh..."

My words died in my throat as Beau reached behind him and pulled his shirt over his head. The movement was fluid, reminding me of a cat, and I was suddenly met with an eyeful of his pale, lightly freckled skin. He sat up straight to stretch out his back, and my eyes caught on his belly button piercing, which then led them to the rest of his toned stomach and chest and...

I was staring.

My gaze flickered up to his face to see him already looking at me, brows raised. I could feel heat rise to my cheeks as I turned back to lock my locker, clicking it closed. Suddenly, my breathing felt staggered and my heart was racing.