02.2 ▌The Woman on the Shore

Year 3988, 28th Day of the 7th Moon
Ember Isle, Fliamma Kingdom, Continent of Humana

THE LATEST report regarding the House of Monarch was still in Aricson's hands when he opened his eyes. He rubbed his neck as he glanced toward the grandfather clock opposite the table. It was already three in the afternoon.

It seemed like that little nap he did have taken longer. He adjusted himself to sit comfortably when someone knocked.

"Enter."

"Rei Aricson." The man stopped just before the door and bowed before entering.

As the house steward of a prestigious family, Gerald should have entrusted menial tasks to the servants instead of carrying such a heavy tray with his old age.

"Put that aside, Gerald," Aricson ordered.

Gerald walked to the settee while Aricson returned to reading the report.

"Pardon my impudence, sire, I won't leave unless you eat," Gerald declared.

He looked up and let out a breath. "Stand there as long as you like," he muttered and resumed his tasks.

'I will not even starve if I did not eat for a month.' He wanted to add but decided not to since first of all, Gerald knew that fact.

"Lady Dryann is worried, sire. I'm afraid we will only suffer if you make her anxious."

That made him put down his papers and massaged his temples. His sister had always been a headache. It was not strange for him to pass his meal from time to time but this had been the longest when he had stayed in the study for a week straight without eating and not having enough sleep.

All thanks to the First Prince of Fliamma who loved to cause havoc.

"Tell her I ate. I'll be done by this afternoon so be rest assured. She will not lose control over this."

"But, sire—"

Gerald was about to insist when another knock resounded in the room. He opened the door and one of the footmen rushed in.

"Rei, Lord Fifth has arrived," the footman informed.

"Is that all? You may go now and you too, Gerald," Aricson stated.

But both the footman and Gerald remained in their position. The former one was shifting nervously while the other one simply tidied his monocle.

"What did he do this time?" he asked the servant.

His younger brother was the epitome of a person who enjoyed life frivolously, always spending his time in brothels and pubs across the continent. At this point, this was nothing new. He was already used to being surrounded by troublemakers.

"Lord Fifth brought a woman into the residence, Rei," the footman announced with his eyes on the floor.

"Truly?" A minuscule change from his apathetic expression was revealed but it was gone in a second.

'He actually dares.' He and his brother had an agreement and the latter was well aware of it. Erkhan promised he would never bring a woman into their residence unless he would marry her yet he bravely did.

"Where is he?"

"At the third guest room on the East Wing, sire."

Aricson nodded. "You can leave."

"Yes, sire," the servant replied and he quickly bowed before departing the room.

"I'm heading out, Gerald." Aricson stood up and took his coat.