the tiara and bomber jacket

September 16th 2017

IT STARTED WITH THE BAR JUST OFF LOMAN ST. Vienna and Finn wanted nothing more than to have a fun night. Their week full of work and stress called for them to go out.

They've been walking around London since 11pm. Bar hopping around the city was tiring, but they were full of alcohol and the past 3 hours felt like nothing to them.

When they turned the corner in Loman St. they expected to find nothing. They didn't know where they were or what to expect, Vienna just took account of the street name.

"Nothing can break," Finn's voice caught Vienna's attention, "Nothing can break me down." He started belting out the beginning part of 'The Man' by the Killers. Vienna laughed at his intoxicated singing, but sang along none the less.

"Don't need no advice!" Vienna hopped off of Finn's shoulders and started dancing, "I got a plan."

Vienna danced around the pathway, "I know the direction," She rounded the corner, "The lay of the land." She stopped singing and dancing once she saw the lights of a bar in front of her.

"The plan is to buy drinks." She pulled Finn into the bar with her. The place was dimly lit with purple and yellow lights. It was partly crowded.

The bar stood in the middle of room, to the left was a stage with an open floor. The right side held multiple tables, three in particular were being used by a large group. It seemed to be a birthday, since there was a half eaten cake and man with a pink stash and tiara in the middle of the group.

The faint smell of orange dragged Vienna's attention away from the man and towards the bar.

"I would if they serve Ward 8s?"

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

WILBUR WASNT SURE WHAT TO EXPECT FROM HIS 21ST BIRTHDAY. The idea of going out for drinks was good enough for him, he didn't think the pub would be rented out and decorated.

The drink starting flowing when a cheap, silver, plastic tiara was placed on his head. And the hours ran by as quick as the drinks he downed.

A couple drinks and half an eaten cake later, Wilbur was ready to go home. Most of the guest have left, only his roommates and a few stragglers were left.

Someone ordered another round and he was stuck waiting again. The mediocre music that played through the speakers of the bar, mixed with the slurred conversations around him was enough to cause a headache.

God, he forgot how much he hated going out.

Wilbur looked over at his friend, who was engaging a conversation with him, or trying to; given by his shoulders slumped towards Wilbur, and the frequent hand gestures.

Despite the splashes of spit landing on his face, Wilbur kept his focus on him. But, slowly, the sound of his voice grew muffled, alongside everything else.

Wilbur tried blinking the feeling away but it became worse. The room around him felt like it was spinning and Wilbur wasn't sure if he was standing up right.

"David." Wilbur spoke, hearing his own voice echo. Wilbur looked around confused, nothing around him seemed normal. A high pitched noise was buzzing in his ears and the room seemed too dark for him.

The sound of the front door bell ringing was the only clear sound. He looked towards it, watching a girl walk in. Her black, curly hair caught his attention first, it swayed with the way she moved her head. The bomber jacket she wore, stole his look next. It was adored with patches, from Wilbur could only assumed were from traveling. Her face was fully turned at Wilbur when he looked up again. She smiled at him and brought him back to reality.

And then the noises came crashing back.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"I think we just crashed someone's birthday party." Finn whispered to Vienna. "Nobody's here but them." His eyes glanced at the tables now too far from them.

Vienna's eyes followed Finn's,"I think that may have to do with the fact that it's almost 4am." Vienna was slowly sobering up. Considering this was their 5th, or 6th, she lost count, bar of the night, Vienna was losing the energy she walked in with.

"Ugh," Finn whined, "British people are so boring." He chugged the drink in his hand and slammed the cup down. "Let's go dance, we still have the whole night!" Finn grabbed ahold of both Vienna's hands and started pulling her to the empty dance floor.

"Let me get a cigarette first." Vienna responded pulling herself towards the exit, "Five minutes and I'll come in dancing."

"If you take longer you're buying me a shot."

"Fine by me," Vienna said walking out with her hand in her jacket. She glanced up at the tables, catching the eye of the boy with the tiara.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"Hey," Wilbur stood up from the chair. "I'm going outside."

"Why?" Most of his group could barely stand on their own, they were all leaning on each other.

"For air and to get a taxi." Wilbur quickly searched for his wallet in his pants, "We're going home." He walked out the door, ignoring the disagreements from his friends.

Wilbur's feet thought quicker than his mind. Sure, he wanted to go home, but he also wanted to see the girl wearing the bomber jacket again. And with no recollection, he found himself standing about four feet from her, as she blew out her cigarette smoke.

He should say something, instead of awkwardly standing close to her.

Wilbur rocked on his heels, the silence was filled with infrequent car honks. It was quiet, with the awkwardness slightly creeping in, but none the less, the need to talk bother Wilbur's mind.

The girl in the bomber jacket continued to blow out her cigarette. To her, the silence was fine. She was too nervous to even turn towards the boy with the tiara. So she continued to finish her cigarette.

The smoke was slowly getting to Wilbur. His asthma has grown stronger since moving to London. He was standing too close to the girl that her smoke was itching his throat.

So he let out a cough.

Vienna took a glance at Wilbur and blew out another cloud. He coughed again, this time slightly louder. She pressed her lips together and dropped her cigarette.

Wilbur glanced down at the fallen cigarette, clearing his throat.

Vienna then stepped on it, burning it out.

Wilbur was still looking at her. Vienna caught his eyes and smiled.

"Don't want my city giving you asthma now?"