ten till

December 31st 2017

Ten minutes till midnight.

She was standing in the dining room talking to one of Wilbur's roommates. She came in looking for something to drink but was brought into the conversation. It was too rude to leave but she left her date in the living room.

Nine minutes till midnight.

She's known most of these people for months now, but she couldn't help but still feel outcasted by everyone around her. They've been friends for years; they have inside jokes, they know each others perks. She felt alone in a room full of friends.

Eight minutes till midnight.

Excusing herself from the dining room, she made her way back to living room. She hated feeling that way, but it was usually her fault. Instead of engaging in the conversation, she would sulk in the corner and pity herself. But she wants to change for the new year. New year, new me, as they say.

Seven minutes till midnight.

Her eyes lit up at the sight of Wil. She stumbled her way towards him and immediately locked arms when she was close enough.

Six minutes till midnight.

He ducked down planting a kiss on her check. He usually wasn't the one to show pda, but with enough alcohol in his system the awkwardness went away.

Five minutes till midnight.

Everyone starting gathering around the TV. 2018 will soon be here and everyone was more than excited. Vienna had made new friends and her life has been becoming better each month pass.

Four minutes till midnight.

I have something important to tell you. Wilbur spoke into Vienna's ear. His voice barely visible with the noise all around.

Three minutes till midnight.

That is? Vienna asked. Everyone around starting pairing up together, everyone finding their partners and friends.

Two minutes till midnight.

Vienna and Wilbur were facing each other. Drinks in their hands as the timer started, signifying the end of a wonderful year.

One minute till midnight.

They each pressed their drinks against their lips. Their eyes locked as strong as their open hands were to each other.

Ten seconds till midnight.

Everyone started chanting the numbers. Counting down the last seconds of 2017. The chanting turned muffled, and their muffles turned into vibrations.

Happy New Year!

Vienna and Wilbur downed their drink, the cups fell towards the ground and Wilbur's hand found its way around Vienna's neck. They leaned towards each other and their lips connected.

Seconds felt like beautiful minutes and the need for oxygen was the only reason they pulled away.

I like you V.