Chapter Six

"Must be the season of the witch"-Season of the Witch, Lana De Rey

I know it's weird to have a chapter about Halloween in the summer but I for some reason decided this is where we were in the story so enjoy :)

Maeve walked with Ponyboy and Johnny into the packed drive-in theater, narrowly avoiding the cars and the people rushing to buy tickets. It was Halloween night, and the drive-in was playing horrors and spooky comedies until morning.

The sky was a deep blue, and a cold wind whistled through the trees. Coincidentally, it was a full moon—the perfect setting for Halloween. It also gave an excuse for the crazies to come out.

The three of them decided to sneak through the hole at the bottom of the back gate like they usually did, hoping nobody would notice on account of the packed lot.

They had asked the rest of the gang to come, but Steve, Soda, and even Darry had parties to attend. Dally was nowhere to be found, and Two-bit said it was the perfect night to play jokes on people, as if he doesn't do that normally.

It took a while, but they eventually found themselves seats, squeezing past people to get to them.

Black Sabbath was playing through the big illumined projector, spooky music flooding through the sea of people and cars.

"You guys dressing up for Halloween?" Maeve asked the two boys.

"Nah, dressing up is for little kids," said Ponyboy.

Maeve got the feeling he was only saying that to try and look cool in front of the greasers sitting in front of them, but she wasn't going to call him out on it.

"No it's not. I'm dressing up tonight, me and Becca are matching," Maeve said.

"What are you going as?" asked Johnny, leaning forward from the other side of Ponyboy.

"You'll find out at Michael's party tonight," replied Maeve teasingly, wanting it to be a surprise.

"I don't know if Darry is gonna let me go. He's been on my ass about everything lately. The house isn't clean enough, my grades aren't good enough," Ponyboy ranted.

Maeve knew it was hard for him, being singled out and berated for everything he did wrong. But she also knew Darry had to be having a hard time. It was only a few months ago that their parents died, and he had taken over supporting the three of them all by himself. It couldn't be easy.

"Hey, I'm gonna go get snacks. You guys want anything?" asked Maeve.

"No, I'm good," replied Pony.

"I didn't bring any money," said Johnny.

Maeve managed to squeeze past the people in the aisle before heading towards the concession house. She passed two couples making out in plain sight, and one having a few heated argument over by the cars. She also made sure to not look too close in the cars as she passed them, knowing what she would see if she did.

As she was waiting in line among socs and greasers alike, she felt someone come up behind her.

"Hey sweetheart, what's your name," sneered an unknown voice from behind her.