Chapter Nine

"Sometimes, I really wish that I could hate you" -Don't you, Taylor Swift

It was a quiet Tuesday morning when Maeve walked up the big steps to the front of the school. If she wasn't already late and rushing to biology, she would've stayed outside for a while. Unlike most days when it was cloudy and gloomy, the sun was in the distance, casting an orange glow on the town, and providing some warmth to the chilly winter air. Despite that, it still wasn't warm enough to make Maeve regret wearing a jacket. She was wearing jeans and a black shirt with a black jacket over it.

She quickly moved to her classroom, opening the door just as her teacher had begun the lesson.

"Miss Hartwell, thank you for joining us," her teacher said in an annoyed tone, as if it was a huge inconvenience that she came in seven minutes late.

"Take a seat, please," she said, turning back towards the blackboard. Maeve hurried over to her seat as the teacher continued her lecture.

Maeve looked over to see that today was one of the rare days that both Two-bit and Dally had shown up to school. Two-bit was throwing paper balls at a black-haired boy across the room, quietly laughing at the angry look on his face. Dally on the other hand, leaned back in his chair, looking as though he would rather be anywhere else.

"Hey, you're actually here—did hell freeze over?" Maeve joked to Two-bit after the bell finally rang.

"Ha-ha. Don't get used to it—if something exciting doesn't happen soon I'm ditching," he replied, tucking his hands in his pockets.

"Mr. Mathews, Mr. Winston—good to have the both of you here today. I'm sure you're very eager to know what the two of you missed while you were gone," said Mrs. Andrews, holding the large, heavy biology book that the class had been reading out of for the past few months. She flicked through the pages they had missed, holding eye contact with Two-bit and Dally the whole time.

"Oh, well you know I'd love to, but I gotta get to my next class," said Dally sarcastically. Most of the teachers and students thought that he dropped out, but really he just never showed up unless he didn't have anything better to do. Honestly, Maeve forgot that she used to have this class with him.

"Oh don't worry Mrs. Andrews, I'll stay as long as you need me too," Two-bit said, giving her a mischievous smirk.

Maeve made a disgusted noise before walking out, not waiting to see what happened. As she was walking to her next class she felt someone creep up behind her.

"Three bucks says he tries to seduce every teacher into not failing him," said Dally from over her shoulder.

Maeve turned towards him and chuckled, "No way, I wouldn't have a chance. Two-bit flirts with anything that breathes—you know he tried to hit on my mom once."

Dally let out a small surprised laugh, "really?"

"Yep. I got a stern talk about the 'people I associate myself with'. What class do you have next?"

Dally snorted. "Hell if I know, I haven't been here in forever," he said, glancing around the hallway.

"So why did you come today anyways? All the teachers think you've dropped out," she asked curiously.

"Had nothing better to do. Buck has a rodeo this week, so no one's at the bar," Dally said.

They talked until they arrived at her English class. Maeve expected Dally to move on, but he followed her in and sat behind her, apparently deciding this was his class. Becca, who sat next to her, glanced between Maeve and Dally with a confused look. Maeve shrugged.