prologue

"Indeed I am near" (2:186)

3:13 pmHOME"TELL ME YOU AREN'T CONSIDERING SOMETHING STRANGE

3:13 pmHOME"TELL ME YOU AREN'T CONSIDERING SOMETHING STRANGE...JUST THIS ONCE!" Mir's gruff voice echoed. "You are," he confirmed his suspicion.Kasim had spent barely a month at his aunt's residence in Baghdad. Amusingly, Mir's carefree sleeping habits gave Kasim the audacious thought of involving Mir in the storm he'd waited years to ignite. But he knew better than to utter such a thing to his cousin."Cut me some slack, would you? I was just thinking about my fate," Kasim retorted.Mir straightened up, leaning against the brick wall adorned with mandala designs. "Alright, but what's our plan for today, Akh?" he asked lazily.Kasim scoffed, "I presume, my brother, you don't want to stroll the market shirtless and tarnish your reputation." He tossed a burgundy shirt toward Mir, his eyes tracing the scar on his cousin's back. His expression turned dark.Mir put on the shirt and rolled his eyes. "You were promoted to the ranks of a general this very morning, and you're already boasting," he pouted, causing Kasim to cringe.Composing himself, Kasim headed towards the door. "Remember, we return to the palace tomorrow," he warned sternly. "We must unearth anything that could weaken the Khalifa's power, but not the empire." His grip on the doorknob softened. "And rather than letting your words run, let your ears and eyes take the lead," he added sarcastically.4:00 pmSouk al NajafKasim's sharp opinions often made him unlikable. Even his sweetest words seemed unappealing due to his permanent scowl.In front of a humble blacksmith's shop, he let his sharp tongue loose. However, his biting words were contrasted by the gentle way he touched the blades of a dagger. "Mir, there are shades of death. The ones formed by daggers and axes are my favourite," he murmured, his eyes gleaming like honey.Mir ignored his cousin's blood lust, pitying the shopkeeper who endured his cousin's extravagant words."Good day, sir," a lady greeted the shopkeeper, her eyes lingering on the daggers hidden behind the counter. Kasim didn't spare her a glance, but Mir noticed his discomfort.Kasim was intrigued by the lady. Her eyes reminded him of his mother's—sad, longing, yet holding onto a glimmer of hope. "I need a dagger that is well-hidden and discreet. Can you assist me?" the lady asked, confident and firm.The shopkeeper nodded, showing her a selection of daggers. Kasim hesitated, finally turning to look at her. "Daggers are dangerous tools. Are you sure you need one? You seem to have quite the outstanding guards," he asked skeptically.One of the lady's guards recognized Kasim and greeted him. The shopkeeper glanced nervously between Kasim and the lady, sensing the tension."I am quite capable of handling a dagger when necessary, My Ameer," the lady replied, her voice steady but tinged with a hint of challenge. She selected a dagger without Kasim's assistance, making it clear she didn't need his help.As she exited the shop, Kasim felt an unsettling feeling that their paths would cross again. When they did, he knew it would be far from ordinary."Mir," Kasim finally broke the silence, "there's something unsettling about that lady. Look into her, will you?"Mir was surprised by his cousin's unusual concern. "Of course, Akh," he replied, his curiosity piqued."Are you kidding me?" snapped Kasim when Mir teased him about liking feisty women.Kasim sighed, his gaze lingering on the spot where the lady had stood moments ago. "Somehow, I have a feeling our paths will cross again. And when they do, I fear it won't be a mere coincidence."With a heavy heart and a mind full of questions, Kasim left the blacksmith's shop, unaware that a new and unexpected chapter in his life had just begun. They might have walked in different directions today, but their paths would unite in the future.

 They might have walked in different directions today, but their paths would unite in the future