What Lurks in the Dark

Arashi continued down the path despite Tai's shouts of protest, and to ensure that she didn't attempt to turn back Arashi picked up her speed and didn't stop until her lungs screamed for her to stop. She had to leave, she had to, it was the only way the voices would leave her alone... at least that's what she believed. 'Look at the little coward. Running from your problems again? Hahaha.' The voices had become one deafening boom at this point. A deep mocking tone that reverberated around in her head that wouldn't stop tormenting her. 'Allying with Homeostasis are we?' "No!" Arashi replied, holding her head in pain as she leaned against a tree. 'Yes, you are! You're aligning yourself with the very being who abandoned you? Who left you to rot, who left Meicoomon to rot? The same being who caused all of these problems.'

"Stop it, stop please," Arashi begged. 'I can only imagine how it must feel knowing that while you and the others suffer such agonizing wars, the one who's supposed to fix it is sitting by in their dog house and reveling in the chaos.' The voice continued and Arashi began smacking the back of her head against the tree. "Get out of my head. Leave me alone!" She exclaimed as the voice's booming laughter filled her mind again. 'The only way to rid yourself of me is to come see me yourself. You remember the way don't you?' The voice asked as Arashi vigorously shook her head in denial. 'Nonsense! If you remember Homeostasis then you remember I!' The voice boomed as a dark smoke wrapped itself around Arashi's neck restraining her to the tree.

'Now repent!' The voice boomed its words repeating countless times as the invisible tether grew tighter. As if sensing something in the air Meicrackmon's ears perked up as the feline creature began sniffing the air. After a moment she growled deeply and turned to the area behind Arashi, slicing away the surrounding foliage with a single blow. Although the tree fell, the tether around Arashi's neck remained as the girl fell to her knees coughing and gasping. It was at that moment that the phone Maki had given to her began to ring from inside her bag. Realizing what the phone's purpose was Arashi fumbled for the device and answered the call. As soon as Arashi answered the phone both the voice and tether disappeared and the girl leaned back and caught her breath.

If it weren't for the destroyed foliage and Arashi's labored breathing one would've never known what had happened there. Arashi turned to the phone in her hand intending to inspect the device for any clues as to how it resolved the issue only to find the screen was pitch black and shattered. After allowing herself another moment of respite Arashi stood back up and continued on her path or at least she would have had the path still been there. Without any warning, Arashi had found herself in a terrible place opposite to the Digital World. The sound of waves crashing against rocks, an endless expanse of black and grey, a lighthouse in the distance which only darkened the world with its pitch black rays and the suffocating feeling of decay and hopelessness.

That is how one would describe this world, the world which was devoid of light, the world known as The Dark Ocean. A world that Arashi once wished she would never find herself in again. "Ah, there you are. I was wondering how much longer you'd keep me waiting my dear." Dr. Nishimura greeted Arashi with a bright smile. However, upon seeing the building that stood behind Dr. Nishimura, Arashi froze in place. A word one may have used to describe her at that moment would be emotionless, but the sparking of her digivice revealed an unseen turmoil happening inside.

"Don't be afraid. When we're out, I'll take you to buy donuts." The girl smiled, looking at the boy beside her. She attempted to draw the shape of a donut in the air, but her bruise-covered arms were trembling to the point her drawing ended up looking more like a catawampus heart. The boy remained silent, his teal eyes remained locked on the ceiling in a daze. "If you're worried about money you don't need to be, Kyoko will give me some." She continued, knowing that the boy was listening to her despite his silence. Still, the girl strained to pull on his hand, interlacing her fingers with his. "You don't need to be afraid anymore. I'll protect you." She vowed as the boy turned to look at her.