Chapter 3

I opened my eyes, watching a ceiling light stare back at me. I stood up with one swift movement, landing my feet on cold concrete.

I began to look around until I saw a metal table in the distance. I proceeded with caution, examining the tools it holded. A shotgun. A pistol. A knife. A rifle. This arrangement only meant that Jack had a job for me.

I observed the tools, running possible scenarios. My fingers curled around the hilt of the knife. It had always been my favorite. Close in range; silent kill.

Watching the blade, it became covered in a thick, soupy red that began to fall onto my hand. I quickly dropped it, feel beginning to well up inside of me. I watched as a small pool formed around the dagger. Attempting to avoid this fear, I caught sight of the scarlet color, making its marks toward my feet and fading as it got closer.

I followed its trail to the darkness it led to, lights turning on as I passed them. Finally, the path stopped at a large pool of crimson. I stood there, petrified at the scene of mortification.

Ten's and Seven's contorted bodies lie in the dark red, motionless as their limp hands remained intertwined.

A hand placed itself onto my shoulder. I looked up to see Jack, looking down at me with a smile as he said words I had never heard from him such as, "Well done," and an, "I am very proud of you." This act of praise is what made my heart sink and my stomach feel like lead.

My legs eventually gave away, knees hitting hard into the ground. I held my face, wailing like a child, unable to take this atrocity. Two of my older siblings are now dead by my own hands.

---

My eyes opened once again. This time I was accompanied by a look of worry, arms wrapped around my shoulder as restraints, and fingers lightly pressing at my lower neck.

"You calm?" The concerned voice of my eldest brother spoke from behind me. I just gave a small nod as he released his hold on me.

"Twelve?" Four's voice, as soft as cotton sheets, caused me to avert my eyes from her. I am a murderer. She would not like to see me. Not now, at least, "Twelve. I am going to need you to look at me." She gently pushed my chin up, causing me to look directly at her amethyst eyes, swirled with lilac.

"I-" I began to speak, voice hoarse from all the crying.

She looked me in the eyes, then glanced over at my night stand, "You have been skipping out on your medications." Her expression held worry as she watched me.

"Not intentionally." I defended myself, trying to ignore the darkness that began to form in the corner of the room. I quickly looked my sister in the eyes once again, "I ran out. I did not want to bother you with your research."

"Hun," She sighed, sounding disappointed as she moved stray hair away from my eyes, "you have got to take those every day. They get rid of the nightmares."

"But not the fear." I looked down at my quivering hands, trying to ignore the quiet whispers that surrounded me, "There is nothing wrong with me."

"Of course there is nothing wrong with you." She cupped my cheek in her hand, moving her thumb in circles around my cheek bone, "You are just a little more... indifferent, but that is not a bad thing." She looked up at Five, who began to stand next to us, then looked back over me, "How about we take a trip to the laboratory and make you some more medication." She took my by the hand, making the two of us stand.

I slid my fingers out of her hand, "You do not need to guide me." I held my hands together, ducking my head a bit, "I am not a child, anymore."

"Is my little girl trying to act tough?" She gave me a playful pout, "Let's not forget that I was the one to change your diapers." She let off a playful grin, turning around and opening the door.