Finally home to you

Life with the admiral always brought the other side of the coin. Tension, sadness and uncertainty about whether he will return home. For years, I looked at my mom and told myself that I would never date a pilot. And here I am, waiting to see if my love, best friend, brothers and uncle will return with the rest of the team. Waiting is the worst. Although as an analyst I could find out how the mission was progressing. I had to find the strength to endure. I took the car keys and headed towards Penny in the bar. When I entered the bar, Amelia was writing her homework on the bar counter while Penny nervously walked around the bar carrying cases of drinks.

-Give it to me.- I said and took the box from her hand. I took it to the bar and started putting the bottles in their place.

- You didn't go on a mission? - Amelia asked me curiously, waving a pencil between her fingers.

-No. I'm an analyst, or as some say, a scribbler. I don't fly. I can't stand being still in one place, so I came to bother you.

- You know you never bother. For God's sake, I was changing your poopy diapers. - laughed Penny.

- Do you need to wash the terrace or polish the glasses?

-No need. When the mission starts, everything goes quiet. It will be just the two of us here until the pilots return from their mission. You can be with us. - said Penny and opened a bottle of wine. We sat in separate booths in the corner of the bar so that Amelia could study without distractions.

- You and Rooster? How? When?- she asked and waved her eyebrows.

- It all started when one day I fell asleep at the desk in the office. The next day he heard Warlock telling Maverick what happened so he came to help. We arranged all the papers and then...he kissed me. So we went on a date, so I ran away to another city. All in all, he's still there. - I said and tilted my glass of wine.

- He's a wonderful boy. And Hangman?

- We talked and he realized that he is just my friend. Although he admitted that he wanted me. Now tell me what happened to you and Uncle Maverick?

- I love him, but I'm afraid he'll leave again and break my heart. I wouldn't take it again. - said Penny and combed her hair with her fingers. It was obvious that she loved him. To trust him this time. They've known each other since before his and my dad's TopGun training. I know my dad told me that Penny's father was an admiral too.

- He stays this time. Trust me. He stays with you this time. - I said and squeezed her palm. We drank a bottle of wine and laughed about her adventures with her uncle in her youth. Always on a motorcycle and always defiant. She explained to me that she was preparing a party to welcome everyone back from the mission. I offered to help along with my mom. At my urging, she opened another bottle of wine while we laughed in the corner. I always enjoyed hanging out with her. Once she even rang the bell to escort me out of the bar because I didn't answer her when I was on assignment and after coming home I went into the bar and told her that she hadn't changed. We laughed about it the next day. Amelia came to us and approached me. She leaned on my shoulder. I adored that little girl so much that Penny asked me to be her godmother.

-Aria, can I ask you something?- she asked.

- Have I ever said no to my godchild? - I smiled at her while the wine had already hit my head.