Chapter 3 - Don't Give Up!

Scene 12

Shot of Diesel 10 passing through Knapford Station, then stopping outside the Fat Controller's office.

NARRATOR: Diesel 10 was on his way to clear away scrap from the lineside. He was just passing through Knapford Station, when he heard the Fat Controller in his office talking on the phone.

FAT CONTROLLER: Flying Scotsman derailed at the bend?! Oh, dear, oh dear... and just two days before the race, too... Send him to the Sodor Steamworks at once. I'll let his controller know what's happened. Good-bye.

NARRATOR: Diesel 10 grinned deviously – this was the chance he had been waiting for.

The Fat Controller walks out of his office, looking exhausted. Diesel 10 forces a friendly smile.

DIESEL 10: Good afternoon, Sir.

FAT CONTROLLER: Hm? Oh, hello, Diesel 10...

DIESEL 10: Is something the matter?

FAT CONTROLLER: Flying Scotsman derailed at the bend near Kellsthorpe, which means he won't be able to race.

DIESEL 10: Really? What a shame. I was really hoping he would have a chance.

As Diesel 10 and the Fat Controller are talking, DOUGLAS watches from the other platform, looking suspicious. James then puffs in next to him with a passenger train. They whisper to each other.

DOUGLAS: That Diesel 10's up tae somethin'. He's ne'er been 'at polite tae th' Fat Controller before.

JAMES: Whatever it is, I don't like it already. Diesel 10's nothing but trouble.

DIESEL 10: Anyway, I wanted to ask you something, Sir. Since Flying Circus- I mean, Flying Scotsman is out of the race... I was wondering if I could take his place?

FAT CONTROLLER: I don't know... I haven't even gotten the chance to look for any other engines yet.

DIESEL 10: No need to, Sir. I'm everything you'd want in a racing engine – I've got the looks, the speed and the brains. I'll show Sodor what real engines are made of. What do you say?

FAT CONTROLLER: Hmm... I'll have to check with the scrapyard manager. Just stay where you are, I'll be right back.

DIESEL 10: Yes, Sir.

The Fat Controller walks back into his office. Diesel 10 is feeling rather pleased with himself, when he notices James and Douglas.

DIESEL 10: What are you two looking at?

JAMES: We know what you're up to, Diesel 10.

DOUGLAS: You're only enterin' th' race just so ye can prove that diesels are better than steamies.

DIESEL 10: Maybe I am. What of it?

JAMES: There's no way you're going to win. We all know Gordon's going to.

DOUGLAS: Personally, I placed my bets on Oliver. But yea, what he said.

DIESEL 10: Oh, I'm gonna win, alright. My "Little Helpers" will make sure of that.

James and Douglas gasp.