They May Know, But It Really Doesn't Change Much

​​"Start talking." Peach's voice leaves no room for argument. "Now. How could you possibly think blackmailing Mario and Luigi is going to help them?"

"It's all part of the plan."

"What plan? Did you really think I'd ever let anything like this happen to them?"

Nastasia attempts to speak up, but Peach won't let her, "No. I'm talking, not you. Like it wasn't bad enough when you brainwashed him into helping fulfill the Dark Prognosticus. But first you say you want to make amends and help Luigi regain his memory, then you turn around and do this to them? What am I supposed to believe?"

"You're supposed to believe I'm a woman of my word." Nastasia says simply. "Whether you see it or not."

"Don't do that." Peach scoffs. "I care very deeply about the people I was trusted to protect as their princess."

"Even when those people leave someone for dead?" Nastasia challenges. "Or aid them in getting rid of the evidence?"

"L's about to drain his mansion account to pay Nastasia off?" Mimi screeches.

"Yes!" Mario exclaims. "And it's all my fault. If I'd just gone with my gut and turned myself in, none of this would be happening right now. I just kept thinking it was gonna look like I attacked Wario to shut him up. And look where that got me!"

"If Nastasia's really doing this, you need to put your foot down. Don't give her one coin."

"I can't do that!" Mario reminds her.

"If you give her what she wants, she's gonna ask for more, and you'll be run out of town anyway!" Mimi fires back.

"Mario, we--" Mr. L's voice makes them turn as he enters the throne room. "Mimi?"

"Hello there." Mimi says, giving nothing away.

"What...brings you here?" Mr. L says to test the waters.

Mimi holds up the note, "You got yourself another player."

"What I'm doing to the Hero and his brother is just one step towards the endgame." Nastasia tells Peach. "You're not even part of it."

"Like hell I'm not!" Peach snaps, the language surprising even Nastasia. "That's my friends you're talking about."

"Who left Wario for dead." Nastasia says slowly, like Peach is hard of hearing. "And pretended like bringing him to the hospital made it all okay."

"He told you that was an accident!" Peach reminds her.

"And you know for a fact they're not lying?"

"Absolutely!" Peach doesn't even have to think.

"So do I." Nastasia says with a smile, throwing Peach completely off.

"Then let them go."

"As I said. All part of a master plan."

"And it's over. Now. Because Mario is not the only hero in the Light Prognosticus. If you don't want to find out just what I'm capable of, you will drop this all right now."

"Why are you lying?" Mimi asks Mr. L as she looks at the note. "Well, Mario here was very helpful."

"What are you doing with that?" Mr. L is fighting to stay calm as he comes closer.

"Fun fact: even the most skilled engineer needs his toolbox." Mimi replies. "And when I was walking with it through town, the note fell out."