Prologue: Tod

Sergei Abdulov kicked me to the floor like he does every day. So I stayed put; if I got up again, he would think I was challenging him. He's third in command in the RIA and has as much respect as the second and our boss, so if anyone disrespects Sergei, it's disrespecting the boss.

               "How many times do I have to tell you to do your job?" he asked sternly. "If I catch you staring off into space again, you won't just be dealing with me, but you'll have to deal with the second in command Punisher, Misha..." He noticed me trembling and knelt and put his hand on my shoulder. Not in a friendly way. Just to make sure I knew what place I was in. "I don't think you would ever want that to happen, would you?" he whispered, stood up, and put his foot on the wall next to my head. I flinched. "Now get back to work, Putin... You are a pebble, after all." He walked away. "Putin" is my last name. It means "One belonging to the road," Although I don't care about other people's feelings, Sergei likes to retranslate it and say that it means I'm a pebble. One to be kicked every day someone gets the chance.

               Another day passed, and I was printing some documents for Alexander when Sergei entered the room. I flinched and prepared for his painful kick to come.

               "Hey, Putin," he called. "Looks like I won't get to pound your kickable face today..." he came closer. Too close for comfort. "Alexander has a mission for you. It's the easiest mission he could devise for a newbie like you," he paused. "Listen closely. He wants you to travel to America with Ruth and Daniel. There's an SIU double agent at the Cross-Country Antiques Store. He has a necklace he said he would give to a woman named Samantha Addison. Retrieve the necklace. Get it to us safely..." he turned to leave. "Oh, and if you ever find a man by the last name of Moralés..." he started to walk out as he said, "Kill him."