RUTH

We got him for good. We could use him to force the SIU to surrender the necklace and leave it to us. Rodriguez was one of their best spies, after all. They would want him back. Sort of like if you steal your sister's favorite toy and tell them to pay you if they want it back. In this case, we robbed them of Rodriguez, and they had to stop fighting for the necklace if they wanted Rodriguez back.

               "And that's how you're supposed to do it," Daniel said.

               "You did nothing. You just called others to come just in case I proved how hard it is to keep Rodriguez in one place," I rolled my eyes at him.

               "No, I just called people over to watch me get Rodriguez, and if I failed, they could help."

               "So reinforcements?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

               "Kind of, but mostly backup," he told me. I slapped my hand over my face. What an idiot.

               We headed out of Rodriguez's house and back to Daniel's. That's when it happened.

               A bunch of agents from the SIU came out of nowhere with guns. They had all eight of us surrounded. We were outnumbered. There were twenty of them and only eight of us. Ridiculous.

               "Drop all your weapons, and put your hands in the air!" one said. So we did as they said, and for what? A Hispanic junior in college, an official for the SIU, Sam-loving spy. Pathetic.

               I did a head count in the middle. There were only seven of us now. I thought for sure there were eight of us. Suddenly, one of the SIU agents fell to the ground, and it broke out into a free-for-all spy battle. The person who knocked the agent unconscious was Tod. If there was any time I was ever thankful for Tod, it was now. Daniel came up to me, us both fighting agents as we spoke.

               "We're outnumbered. We won't win. Let's make a run for it. Let's get Tod and get out of here." he said. We got Tod, and while the other agents were distracted fighting, we silently slipped away.