chapter 1

"I'm not mad, I'm just... disappointed," she doesn't even make eye contact with me as she says this. Her fingers were pinching the bridge of her nose as she leaned back in her chair.

"You didn't get a bad score, but I know you didn't try as hard as you could've". She brings her hand away from her face as she points directly at me and leans closer. "Your smart kid, that's why you're here, but you need to try or it will mean absolutely nothing".

I didn't know why, but I felt like my throat was chained and I couldn't talk. My face was getting hotter and my knees felt like they were growing weaker with every passing moment.

"I know Ms. Hirawa, it's just super unmotivating being surrounded by other smart people," I looked down at my hands as I gripped my newest test, "I hate to say it but, I think I peaked in elementary school and that's really embarrassing for me".

I could feel my eyes watering and my face becoming warmer as I turned away from her. She takes the paper that I was holding in my hand and looks it over again.

"Oh, don't say that (Y/n). It's not like you did bad, you got a 74/85. I'm just saying, I want you to strive to do better. Not for my class necessarily, but I feel like you've let yourself go over these months," she looks over at me with worry in her soft eyes. 'I know that..' I think to myself because I feel that if I spoke at this moment, I would start bawling my eyes out like a stupid little kid. And I can't let that happen again.

She gently holds my hand, her finger tips being smooth and soft. I looked up at her, trying my best to hold back my tears that were threatening to run down my face. Her eyes were comforting to me and her smile made me feel a little less shitty.

"I just wanted to tell you that, I believe in you. You have what it takes to be a student here, and I am proud to be your teacher," She gently shakes my hand around, trying her best to make me feel better. And frankly it kinda worked, "I know that you are busy and all being vice-president of the art club, but please go easy on yourself and continue trying even though it may seem tough".

I give her a weak nod and she lets my hand fall back to my side. She clears her throat again and hands me back my test. "Just make sure your dad signs it and gives it back to me before friday so i can input your score. You're free to leave now, take care".

"Thank you, Ms. Hirawa, take care". I take a bow and leave the classroom.

I lean up against a wall in the corridor and slowly slide down, and put my face between my knees. I feel exhausted and my face feels sort of numb. I hear feet coming closer, so I look up, but not before I'm wrapped up into a tight hug.

"Awwww, why are you crying? There, there, Hito's here now," Of course it was him, a goofy smile was making its way onto my face as he rocked me back and forth. "Did someone make fun of you? Do you need me to commit any felonies, cause I'll do it if you need me to".

I start to laugh and wipe away the tears in my eyes, "No, it's just my newest grade."

"Wait, did you fail too?! Yay, I'm not the only one. 'Cause Lenora was laughing at me for getting a 52/85, she's so mean to me for no reason" he was shaking his head and looked offended.

''Pfft, what? How are you still not in E class yet? I got a 74, see," I showed him the paper and he had a shocked expression written on his face.

"Damnit! And just as I thought that I wasn't the only one that failed," he exclaimed as he ruffled up his shaggy dark brown hair. "Thank God there will be retakes next monday".

"Do you plan on studying this time?"

"Haha, no :)" he smiled at me, oblivious to the consequences of the actions he was about to take.