Chapter 3: Brief Tales

Guys I know I had this labeled as "discontinued" but after season 2 I HAVE to write again.

The two friends flew off into the night sky filled with stars shining in the void. The two didn't speak, as Sonic was too fixated on the gem in his grasp. Nine grew curious about the foreign object.

"What's that gem do anyways?" Nine questioned. Sonic lifted his head up from his hand he leaned against. "It's these powerful objects back .. back on green hills.." Sonic mumbled the last few words but immediately brushed it away and continued. "Theres seven of these, there called chaos emeralds and can give an incredible amount of power to anyone! However in the wrong hands can be very dangerous and cause disaster." Nine was taken back.

A surprised expression plastered on his face. "Kinda like a miniature paradox prism?" He asked. Sonic hummed in thought. "I suppose. A rival of mine, Shadow can use the chaos emeralds to teleport to any destination! I can too but rarely do so as I can run there faster." Nine only grew more and more curious and excited learning about new things Sonic told.

"Who's shadow?" Sonic gave a small smile at the question. "I consider him a friend, he's a hedgehog like me, except is black and has red strips, he's also a bit more edgy." Sonic explained. Nine nodded at the answer. "What can you do with the emeralds? Like what happens when all seven are combined?" Nine asked another question. Sonic grinned and began telling a list of stories from the beginning. By the time he finished Nine was shocked to say the least.

"Let me get this straight. You turn yellow, or your super form as you call it, and can fly, without wings?!" Nine grinned, eyes filled with stars. "Yep!" Sonic said popping the p. "Thats- thats really cool!" Sonic gave a fond smile. Guess that's what all Tails had in common, no matter the alternate. Admiration.

The talking came to a stop as the space craft shook. Sonic groaned as his head flew into the seat in-front of him. His hand placed on his forehead as he rubbed his temples. "Nine? You okay buddy?" Sonic asked, voice filled with concern. "Y-yeah." Nine moaned in pain, as he too slammed head first into the wheel. "What even happened?" Sonic asked, looking out the window." Nine focused his gaze on the alarming amount of notifications displayed on his dash screen, signaling damage.

"I think something hit us, whatever it was messed up the engine so I'm going to have to go fix it." Nine explained and opened the roof hatch. "You can get out too, just be careful of flying crystals." Nine said, leaving the inside of the space craft. Sonic followed along, not wanting to be left alone.

"Need any help?" Sonic asked as he grew bored watching. "The only thing you can really do is make sure no other crystals hit our ship." Nine informed, not taking his eyes off the problem before him. Sonic nodded and began hitting crystals away from the ship.

He had a weird feeling in his gut however. It was like the crystals kept coming out of no where. They were all aiming for the ship, as if someone was doing it intentionally. Sonic grew more paranoid, seeing more and more sprawl at him. "Nine! I think were getting ambushed or something." Sonic voiced his concern. Nine glanced up and took notice of the weird situation.

"This is weird. Maybe there attracted to the prism shard? After-all these crystals do have a resemblance." Nine said, not worrying too much about it. Sonic on the other hand raced off the ship, looking for the cause of the problem. That was when he noticed a figure race behind a shard. Sonic narrowed his eyes and leap upon the crystal shard. Nothing. He could've sworn he seen something... Again! In his peripheral vision he saw the strange figure once more.

Sonic growled, and bared his teeth. "Who's there! I can see you hiding." No answer. Sonic kept leaping across shards, searching for the mysterious figure. Finally he heard a grunt as he kicked a crystal upon another. "Hah! You can't hide now." Sonic laughed and quickly advanced towards the sound. He didn't get a change to see the person as he held them by the collar.

"You better start talking!" Almost immediately Sonic dropped the person in shock. "What-?"

"Shadow?"

——

A/N
I'm backkkk! 😭 I saw the new season and HAD go continue this.

Word count: 772

Date: 7/14/23