Chapter 15. Like I Promised

Sorrows Passing
By: Peter Gundry

~-~

December 25th, 1758

It had been weeks since the incident back in town - with the tar - and Haytham was still isolating himself from the others. Jimmy had never really cared while Elizabeth gave up on trying to help Haytham. But Hedwig hadn't. He wanted to help in some way! And it was Christmas Day for goodness sake! Haytham hasn't come out of his room since yesterday at around noon... it was getting worse day by day.

Hedwig closed his bedroom door, looking down the hall to see Haytham's room. He glanced down at the doorknob. It was locked. That meant Haytham was still there. Hedwig sighed at this and limped over to Haytham's door. He could hear quiet sobs coming from inside. He gently brought his hand up and knocked on the door three times. The sobs subsided and now it was quiet. "Haytham?" The young man didn't answer. Hedwig turned around and put his back up against the door. His cane now held in both hands. "You wouldn't remember, Haytham, but I do." Hedwig started. "I promised you that I would treat you with the utmost care and respect. But also help you when needed. And isolating yourself is not what's best for you. If no one else is going to tell you that, then I will." Hedwig looked up at the ceiling. "But if anyone tries to get in between us- anyone is going to wind up dead." Hedwig whispered that last part. He didn't need Haytham hearing.

Suddenly, the door opened.