SEVEN.

"How could he be so inconsiderate?!" Fuyumi gave a cry of disdain, clasping her cheeks.
"Hey, now. He probably just decided it in all the heat of the moment, right?" Sting put a hand on her back, the both of them sat on a bench in a secluded clearing.

It was the day after Master Makarov had made the announcement about the S-Class Trials. Just like every other year, the eligible wizards were allowed to pick one partner - to test a wizard's bonds to their friends. When Natsu's name had been called, Fuyumi had been sure he would pick her as his partner. They were a perfect duo, like fire and ice - no, they were fire and ice!

So when Natsu had turned and announced Happy was his partner, and then raced off to train without a second word, she might have felt her chest cave in on itself.

Her brother hadn't returned until late at night, and then he'd woken her up as he was leaving again in the early hours of the morning. She had asked him if he wanted to train with her, to which he replied that she wasn't a good enough opponent to train with and then left. She knew somewhere that he hadn't meant it in a mean way, but still.

"Yeah!" Lector nodded, "you're really strong, don't listen to him!"
"I agree!" Rue exclaimed.

"He's my brother, and he thinks I'm weak," she put her head in her hands.
"No, he doesn't," Sting sighed.
"Why'd he say it, then? Even if it was supposed to be mean... just him saying it means he thinks I'm weak!" she exclaimed.

Sting and Lector looked at each other, unsure of what to do.

"Fuyumi... you've been really off for the past couple days now," Sting said slowly.
"Of course I have!" she hissed, "I'm sick and tired, Sting. This guild is driving me nuts, Natsu is driving me nuts! I barely even see him anymore... last night, he didn't come in for dinner because he was too busy sat outside in the snow with his partner for the test!"
"Yeah, but you can't blame him, can you? Who's he known longer?" Sting shrugged.
"More like, who does he like more..." Fuyumi huffed.

"You don't know that," the blond started.
"If he liked me more, then he would've— no. If he respected me more, then he would have picked me to be his partner," the girl said, "I don't understand this at all. First him ditching me for Lucy, and now he's ditching me for Happy! And the worst part is... if I tried doing that to him, he wouldn't even notice!"

"Well, whatever then!" Sting shouted suddenly, taking her and the Exceeds by surprise, "to hell with it, Fuyumi. If he's out training so much, he's going away for a whole week and then he's got the actual test so you'll get to destress and we won't have to worry about him coming across us!"

She thought for a moment or two.
"You're right, Sting. Sorry for... getting all funny about it," she said.
"No worries," he grinned, "just think about it! This whole time's gonna be a vacation for us. We can hang out where you and Natsu live and just... do whatever we want!"

"We can have a roof over our heads!" Lector cheered. Sting went red and Fuyumi giggled.
"You can," she confirmed.
"Oh, we get to be with Sting and Lector!" Rue cheered as well.

"And, uh... Rogue's welcome to bring himself and Frosch. If he wants to," Fuyumi added.
Sting nodded, "I'll be sure to let him know."

.·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·.

It was gone midnight when Natsu and Happy clambered back into the cottage he shared with Fuyumi. The latter had put herself to bed a few hours before, making an attempt to sleep soundly. Instead, she was awoken by Natsu's loud chattering and his falling over things in the dark.

She emerged from her hammock-bed with a growl.
"Fuyumi, you're still up?" he questioned, "it's pretty late."
"I wasn't up until you came home," she folded her arms. Natsu and Happy immediately shrank back into themselves.

"I-I don't like... you using that tone with me, Fuyumi," the Fire Dragon Slayer gulped.
"You don't like it? You don't like it?" she repeated with a hiss, taking a step forward, "d'you want to know what I don't like, Natsu?!"

"Not really, n-no," he said whilst Happy shook his head frantically.
"I don't like it when my brother makes as much noise as possible when he comes in from training at ungodly hours of the night! And I don't like when he ditches me all day and all night for some stupid test! And, I don't like when he picks a cat over his own sister as his partner!" Fuyumi clenched her fists, "oh, and I especially hate when he stops going on jobs with me and ditches me for his brand-spanking-new team!"

She took a deep breath after her outburst whilst Natsu simply stared, an emotion in his green eyes that she couldn't quite place.
"Fuyumi... you know how much this means to me," he said, "I've gotta become an S-Class wizard this time."

"You just don't, though! You don't see anyone else complaining," she replied.
"Well— it's my life!" Natsu retorted.
"For your life, it's awfully regulated by winning some dumb test," Fuyumi said bitterly.
"It isn't some stupid test, Fuyumi, it is my life!" something clearly snapped inside of Natsu as he raised his voice, "you should understand better than anyone, this guild is my life! I was practically born and raised here, these are the only people who've had my back other than Igneel! If you don't like it you can leave!"

Fuyumi stared at him, blue eyes wide, and then turned on her heel. Natsu watched her in confusion as she grabbed her satchel, until she started shoving her stuff into it.
"No, Fuyumi, wait—" Natsu started as she packed her things.
"No no, you go on your merry way training for your oh-so-important test. I'm leaving like you said," she said, slinging the satchel over her shoulder and then picking up Rue. She made for the door but Natsu stepped in front of her.

"Fuyumi, I'm sorry, you know I didn't mean any of that," he apologised quickly.
"Natsu, I don't care anymore. You can go and train and frolic around with Lucy, Gray and Erza all you'd like now!" Fuyumi huffed, "now get out of my way."
"I'm not moving," he said firmly, "just go back to bed."

She narrowed her eyes and then turned back to the house. Natsu breathed a relieved sigh, putting his hands on his knees.
"Fuyumi, you—" he stopped short at the shattering of glass, and the sight of Fuyumi's sandals disappearing out of the window. He threw himself out of the door, using his flames for a speed burst and grabbed her wrist.

She choked out a gasp, being stopped in her tracks, "get off of me!"
"No, you're coming back with me!" he gritted his teeth, pulling her back. She wrestled against her grip.
"Natsu, let go of me!" she cried out, "let go!"

He didn't, of course, and started dragging her back while she desperately fought against him, gasping for her breath.
"Natsu, you're hurting me— damnit, I said let go!"

With that, she swung around and slammed an ice-covered fist into his cheek. Taken aback, he let go and stumbled back, staring wide-eyed.

She held her forearm and Natsu felt a stab wound in his chest as he eyed the raw, red ring around her wrist - he'd hurt her, and he hadn't even realised it.
"Fuyumi..." he started quietly.
"I hate you! I wish you weren't my brother!" she sobbed, and with that, she just turned and sprinted away into the snow. Natsu was left in the snow, all by himself.

Happy flew out after him, perching on his shoulder.
"It's fine, Natsu," he tried to comfort his partner, "she'll be back just fine in the morning. We've got training to do, anyway!"

Natsu frowned and then turned back towards their cottage, trudging through the snow.