Chapter 3- On My Own

A week had gone by and everything was the same. How am I supposed to care for Gustave? I promised Christine I would give him everything but how can I when she's gone? I have not seen him since the funeral. How do I make him understand the situation? What am I to do?

I close my eyes and she has found me
All I see is her and me forever
I love her only on my own

"Mr Y?"

My heart stoped. I turned and saw my son across the lake. I took the boat and he saw me not knowing if he should smile or not. "Gustave how did you?" "Father showed me the way he said I can stay with you if I wanted to." I was afraid of the answer. "I read your letter to father"
"Gustave you can't do that"
"I know but I wanted to understand you father never speaks of you and mother...I want to stay with you." I could not believe it. "Yes of course I want nothing else." He hugged me and my heart burst. "Come let me show you our home".

The mist from the lake rose up and the candles were lit just like that time so long ago. When I took Christine's hand for the first time. My love...

Sing for me my angel of music...
Sing for me

"It's beautiful" I smiled as I helped him of the boat. "Yes it is."

I took him to the sofa and gave him tea. "Who are you?" He asked.

"For many years in this opera house, my opera house I should say I'm known as The Phantom of the Opera. You mother was a dancer and singer and I helped her. She was my angel of music and I was her's. But I let her go because I wanted her to be happy. I never thought she could be with me you see. She came back to me and you..well were made I'm so sorry. I never knew you existed and when I did I never expected you to be mine until you played the piano for me. I promised your mother I could care for you. You are my son and I love you and I will give you the best life I can provide. If you let me?"

He was quiet for a while before he spoke again. "Yes father" I embraced him and I could sit with him like this forever. I hope Christine will be proud of me.