If It Were Up To Me

You had no idea when you went to bed, but apparently you did. When you woke up, however, you saw Miles in the other bed next to you. He was awake, reading a book.

"How long was I out," you ask, rubbing your eyes.

"You were asleep once I got out of the shower," Miles started, putting down his book and taking off his glasses. "You fell asleep in the exact same position I left you in, so I had to get you to lay properly."

"My back thanks you for that," you chuckled.

You looked around the room for the last time, your eyes landing on the bags. Did you really want to go? After all, Phoenix was family, but was he Family? You know that Chelsea wasn't either and she wouldn't be if you could help it. You had to stay. You had to tell them the truth, but first you need to try and through to Phoenix.

"Is there something on the bags? You're staring really hard." Miles had apparently been looking over and trying to see what you were looking at.

"Call Phoenix down."

"Now?"

"I need to tell him now."

"What about Chelsea?"

"Fuck Chelsea! Call Phoenix down!"

"Maybe he doesn't want to see us." Miles turns the page of his book, looking at the door.

"Maybe he thinks we want to apologize. He's bound to-"

There was a knock at the door. You both looked at each other, wondering if it could actually be Phoenix. You gesture to Miles, telling him to open the door. He shakes his head, telling you to. This goes back and forth until the knocking gets louder and Miles opens the door.

"Wright," Miles grimaces.

"Edgeworth," Phoenix spits. "This better be to apologize about yesterday because that was absolutely uncalled for."

"It's... something like that," you start. "You should sit down. Listen, this is about Chelsea."

"I don't want to hear it." Phoenix looks defeated. He wouldn't stop you if you did start talking, but it hurts you to see him look like that. It didn't matter, though. You had to keep going. He needed to hear this.

"Phoenix, she's in it for the money. You know that. You saw the way that she looked at Miles. We all did. You need to know what she did that night."

"What? The night she came to me bawling about you trying to break us up? Is this your plan? God, I trusted you! Both of you!" Phoenix stood, heading to the door. "Why is it that whenever I have something good, you have to take it from me?"

"You need to hear this, Phoenix." Miles hadn't moved from the door, keeping Phoenix in.

"Listen, she came to the room trying to get with Miles. She was going to lie about me getting with you until we said I was your cousin. You talk about me all the time, Phoenix!"

He stood there, silent after the last sentence.

"Right? You talk about us to her, right?"

"I... Yeah. I do. I talk about all of you. That's what throws me off. How could she not know you?" Phoenix sat on the bed next to you, crossing his arms.

"Because she's in it for the money. You know how much being a lawyer pays," Miles says, stepping away from the door.

Phoenix sighs, putting his head in his hands. He was dead silent. Distraught. This was the woman he loved. The woman he trusted. The woman he wanted to marry.

"Now, Phoenix we're not saying this for you to call off the wedding, we just want to let you know what you're getting yourself into," you say, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I... I need to think."

Phoenix left a while ago. He looked pretty stressed over the whole ordeal, and you didn't blame him. If your partner was willing to cheat on you with your best friend, you'd feel distraught too.

You sat around with Miles, both of you sitting on the same bed. "Does that mean we're staying?"

You look over at him, not from being startled, or from how obvious the answer to the question was, but from how valid the question was. Are you going to stay?

"Well," you start, "I want to. Phoenix finally took the time to listen to us, and now he has an idea of how Chelsea is. We barely have any choice but to see this out."

"So I packed for nothing?"

"I'm afraid so," you chuckle, laying on Miles' lap. You've grown to enjoy being close to him on this trip. Nothing serious, obviously, but you could get used to this kind of friendship.

Miles seems to feel the same, as he places a hand in your hair, and the other on your stomach.

"Hey, Miles?"

"Hm?"

"If it were up to me, we'd keep up this fake relationship thing for a good amount of time. Maybe like forever. Like at least 2 months. I think-"

Miles laughed. "Alright, alright. You're fun to be around too, (Y/n)."