Chapter - 4

𝐈𝐕

𝐈𝐕. 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐃

𝓐𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂

Head high, you're a Lancaster. That's what she told herself before stepping out of her room. Davina dusted some non-existent dirt off her red sleeve making Avery smile forcefully towards her. "You better not trip-" She began but was cut off as an arm swung over her shoulder. 

"Enough fussing over our cousin Davina, the guests must be waiting for you downstairs." Edward's charming voice came. He looked over at Avery smiling, "Happy birthday, cousin." 

"Thanks…" Avery forced out in a small voice. Edward grinned towards her, before patting over Davina's back, ushering her to go downstairs. She gave Avery a look of warning before flaunting down the stairs.

Avery slowly walked ahead to look down at the crowd below. Downstairs was bustling with the guests. "Nervous?" Edward's voice spoke behind her. Avery shook her head, her eyes catching a glimpse of Davina with the Farrington family. She blends in so well, in a way Avery never could. How could she ever? They adored Davina and tolerated Avery. 

"Liar." He spoke walking up to stand beside. He peered down, leaning over the railing. 

I can't, don't you see? I can't be nervous. 

Avery sent him a glare. "I am not." 

Edward shrugged looking back towards her. "Whatever helps you sleep at night." He muttered. "Do you wish she was here?" He asked. 

"Who?" 

"Cora." 

He was the only one besides Avery herself, who still called her Cora, instead of Coraline. 

"Do you wish she was here?" Edward repeated. 

Yes. 

"No." Avery lied. Edward raised his eyebrows at her like this wasn't the answer he was expecting but nodded anyway. "Good." He muttered looking down at the guests again. "You shouldn't. " He added. It almost sounded like he was pushing her to say something she was not supposed to. 

"You should go downstairs." Avery spoke, trying to sound unbothered, making Edward step away from the railing and dust his navy blue blazer. 

"Good luck, cousin." He spoke as he touched her shoulder lightly. "Do my mother right." He added before walking away, leaving her alone there. 

Do right by my mother. 

Do right by Eileen Lancaster. The fiercest and the greatest leader this family had known. 

Avery felt suffocated by those words, the expectations of these people were higher than she could ever meet. Everyone wanted the next Eileen Lancaster, no one wanted Avery.