Chapter - 1

(Quick note, your Farm name is just gonna be your last name (L/N) and I'm changing the 20 year time skip of the letter to 10 years because it fits better with what I'm doing. Okay, thank you, enjoy the story :D)

Only 3 hours into your shift as a Joja Mart employee and you already wanted to leave. The clicking of your keyboard, and everyone else's, was filling your ears along with the occasional announcement over the intercom yelling at everyone to keep working. The bright fluorescent and yellow tinted lights were shining down on the obnoxious bright blue colors that made up the stores shelves, counters, and pretty much everything else. You weren't allowed to decorate your cubicle so your only source of entertainment was doing your job, and that was the least entertaining thing in the building.

Your eyes stay half lidded as you mindlessly move your mouse clicking on an email, responding to it, then moving on to the next email. You hear the intercom turn on and everyone suddenly stops typing as the muffled voice of the manager goes through the speakers. "Your 15 minute lunch break starts now" The intercom goes back out as everyone in your row of cubicles pulls out their lunch for the day. You did the same, your paper bag lunch consisting of a half eaten Zubeway sandwich, a Ziploc bag of past ripe blueberries, and a crumbling cookie.

You sighed, opening the drawer you usually kept your lunch in and place the bag back in there. A slightly worn envelope with a deep purple stamp lay in the drawer, a design with the letters 'PT' is on the stamp. You pause, taking out the letter. You can't quite remember where you got it from. The intercom goes back on, warning everyone that they have 10 minutes left on their lunch break. You furrow your brows as you try to remember before it all floods back to you.

-10 years ago-

You were sitting down in your grandpa's room, the fire burning bright from the fireplace against the wall. Your grandfather lay on a bed in the center of the room, a pale face and weak limbs. The rest of your family had gotten gifts from him, but now it was your turn. You were broken from your trance when he motions for you to come closer, that's when you saw the letter in his hand. He started to speak in a hoarse voice, "...and for my very special grandkid:" he paused, letting out a raspy cough. "I want you to have this sealed envelope." You took it from his hand, tilting your head before going to open it.

"No, no, don't open it yet... have patience." He told you. "Now, listen close..." He gestured with his hand for you to bend down closer, you complied. "There will come a day when you feel crushed by the burden of modern life..." He stopped, coughing into his green pajama sleeve before continuing, "and your bright spirit will fade before a growing emptiness." You were taken aback by his words but kept listening. "When that happens, kid, you'll be ready for this gift." You nod, placing the letter into your bag next to your chair. "Now, let Grandpa rest." Little did you know that would be the day you heard his voice for the last time.

-back to the present-

A tear fell from your eye as you sniffed, partially from your grandfathers death, the other part from realizing that you've done exactly what he said you would. You were another robot programmed to function in this modern day life. You wiped the tear and started to open the envelope, the stamp crumbling off from being so old. The note inside was old and yellow, and the words were slightly faded but they were clear enough for you to read. The note read:

Dear Y/N,

If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.