Prologue

"It'll be fine, Chuuya," Dazai grins at his red headed lover. "Mori is used to me disappearing for months at a time with no warning. He'll be none the wiser."

Chuuya watches as the taller boy continues packing things that he'll need while hiding from Mori. "I can't protect you if I'm not with you, you idiot. You'll be practically defenseless."

Dazai glares at the shorter boy, pausing in his packing process. "I'm pregnant, not defenseless. By staying here, you're protecting us. If Mori finds out..." Dazai shudders at the memory of the last time something like this happened. Last time, it was Mori's fault and Dazai had no choice in it happening or in what Mori did after finding out. "Mori doesn't want me having emotional connections to anyone except him. I promise, I'll call you every night. Besides, I'm bringing Akutagawa with me. I told Mori I'm taking the boy somewhere secret to train him."

The thought of the hot headed emo boy going with Dazai doesn't help Chuuya's nerves any, but he knows that the boy is loyal to Dazai, so he'll trust his lover's judgment this time even if he doesn't want the other to be gone. He knows that Dazai knows Mori better than anyone except Elise. If his lover says that letting Mori find out about their relationship, let alone their child, is dangerous, he's keen to believe that the other boy knows best, even if Dazai won't tell him why he's so certain that Mori finding out that the child exists is a bad idea. "You better fucking tell me where you are when they're born."

The brunette grins cheekily at his boyfriend, "Of course. I'll have to call for someone to bring Ane-san to help."

Chuuya rushes at the other boy screaming, "WHY YOU LITTLE..!"

Dazai dodges Chuuya easily. "Now what kind of father are you? Going after your poor pregnant boyfriend." Dazai wags his finger at Chuuya. "Maybe I'll just call Ane-san and not my child's slug of a father."

Chuuya growls, backing away from Dazai. "Just be careful, you suicidal maniac."

Dazai can't help but chuckle as he gives Chuuya one last kiss before heading out the door to meet up with Akutagawa. This is going to be a long six months with only the hot head for company. At least he'll have some entertainment in doing exactly as he told Mori that he was going to do.

————

In the five months that pass, Dazai calls Chuuya every night like he promised he would. Some days, Chuuya doesn't answer, and that's okay, because that only means that the other boy is likely on a mission and can't answer. He doesn't leave a voicemail, knowing that there's every chance Chuuya could lose his phone and the chances of someone else, the chances of Mori, finding the voicemail was too dangerous. Instead, he waits to see if Chuuya will call him back, and if he doesn't, well, Dazai understands. They are both part of the Port Mafia and thus subject to missions that will keep them no contact for days, weeks, even months.

Over those five months, Dazai has watched Akutagawa come into himself, learning to not only use his special ability to fight, but also for protection. Of course, having a pregnant mentor to protect was a great motivator to learn the protective properties of the boy's ability, something that Dazai had been previously struggling to teach him to do. The boy wasn't perfect at it, yet, but no one is truly ever perfect at using their special abilities, no one, that is, except Dazai whose ability to cancel other special abilities simply by touching the person needed absolutely no perfecting. How can one perfect something that was already perfect in its own right?

"One more month, and we go back," Dazai comments to his raven haired apprentice, wincing as what he assumes is another Braxton Hicks contraction rolls across his midsection.

Akutagawa glances at his watch. "If the things Kouyou has told me to watch for are anything to go by, I don't think we'll be here for that much longer."