Chapter 2

Akutagawa walks through the halls of the main base for the Port Mafia. He has about thirty minutes before he has to leave to meet with an informant about the tiger and the snow leopard cub, so he thought a walk would be good for him. It would also help him keep an eye out for any rumors about the whereabouts of Dazai and Nakahara in order to make sure that no one has managed to catch wind of where they are. The last thing that the pair needs is for anyone from the Port Mafia knocking on their door except for himself, Gin, and Lady Kouyou. It took Nakahara long enough to reach a point where Dazai was stable, and Akutagawa refuses to risk all that work going down the drain.

————

"Now, be a good girl, and don't move," Mori tells the girl sitting on the bed, if one could truly call the barren mattress on the floor a bed, before turning away from her naked and bloodied form. "Elise will be here shortly to clean you up."

The raven haired man proudly walks out of the barren room leaving only the girl, her long reddish-orange hair a tangled mess, and her heterochromatic eyes bloodshot from crying. She stares at the door which automatically locks as soon as the man leaves, trapping her there. Not for the first time, she wonders why her parents left her with Mori, wonders why they left her to be tortured by the man the way she is. She's never been allowed out of that room, and she's never had a caring hand to love her the way a parent should, or at least not that she remembers. Her parents must have loved her, she's sure of it, but if they did love her, why did they leave her?

The girl looks down at her hands. Elise has told her more than once that she looks like a porcelain doll with how pale her skin is. The older girl has even mentioned that it is probably due to the fact that her skin has never seen the sunlight, whatever that means. All the girl knows is that she exists only for Mori to use, and that neither Mori, nor Elise, can use their special abilities when they're in contact with her. Mori says that means that she has her mother's special ability and that the ability is very valuable. The man had been upset, according to him, when the girl's mother abandoned her there because he had lost that very important asset, but now, he has someone else with it. He says that he can only hope that the girl will also possess her mother's extreme intelligence.

A part of her feels like Mori has been lying to her about some things, but she doesn't know what all he's lying about. She's sure that someone who hurts you regularly doesn't tell you the truth either. With that thought in mind, she steeles her nerves to finally look to see how bad it is this time. It feels like the man causes her to bleed down there more and more every time he does what he does to her, and this time is no different as the blood is still oozing its way down her legs and pooling around where she's seated on the bed, the white sheets not hiding one bit of the blood escaping her body.

She looks back up to watch for Elise to arrive to clean her up and change the white sheets on the bed. While she watches, a white cat suddenly seems to fall from the ceiling. The cat looks around, and as soon as it sees the girl, it turns away as if disgusted. The girl doesn't blame the cat for being disgusted by her. Mori has told her more than once that she is nothing but filth, that there is only one thing she's good for at this age and that he wishes that he could keep her at this age forever so that she will forever be useful in the way he uses her. While keeping its eyes averted from the girl, the cat pushes the door open as if it was never locked in the first place. It meows, quickly glancing back at the girl, then the door as fast as it can. She gets the picture, though, and gets up, ignoring Mori's instructions, and follows the cat out the door and into the corridor beyond.

As the girl continues to follow the cat, she sees a man with black hair and a flowing black coat. Something about the man automatically makes her feel comfortable, as if she knows him and knows that he's safe, but she doesn't know how she would know him. She has only ever known that one room.