The Huntress

The alchemist bazaar of Polis was held within the enormous domed building of Sazeen design. Ray could not remember its name. With high walls, a large courtyard filled with merchant shops and decorative towers it was one of most intricate buildings within the lower merchant district. The high-painted ceilings of the inner Bazaar gave way to the outer markets that were shrouded by cloth canopies strung high on wooden posts. Beneath the dome itself was where the witches, charlatans, and poisoners sold their wares.

"This is the one?" Ray asked.

The bulb-shaped vial of green liquid almost seemed to glow as Ray held it in her hand.

"That is the one girl."

"There's nothing stronger?"

"A few drops of that could bring down a tiger, girl."

"Alas, a tiger is not my prey. This will have to do, old man. Let's negotiate the price."

"No. I don't bargain with women. You want to haggle? Go get your husband."

"I don't have a husband."

The old man spat on the floor, "You Gresani women are all the same, lustful. The men give you too much, you forget yourselves!"

Ray snorted, "Don't shit yourself, old man."

"How dare you, woman! I will-"

"You will shut up and take my money," Ray said, tossing a pouch of coins onto his table."

The old man snatched the pouch and began to speak, as he opened it only to see the money inside and shut his mouth.

"Should this not work, I will return and make you drink it," Ray said with a smile.

The bazaar had begun to empty just as she had gotten there, now only the merchants remained and even they began to close their shops.

Ray followed the crowds through the paved roads of colorful markets and statues of the Grasani gods. Ray thought them a marvel until she hear the cries of dragons and looked up to see what the real marvel was.

When he came the streets were filled to greet him, the city seemed to be made warmer by his presence alone.

He strutted about proud and large in the idea of his perceived protection but Jaiko did not know the tigress that stalked him. Climbing, sliding, and ducking from rooftop to market square. Ray found herself blending into a group of young women.

The girls gathered giggling and swooning. One prayed to the goddesses of love and beauty to make her catch his eye.

"I heard he has the vigor of a wolf," A woman said.

"I heard he is as strong as eight men," Replied another.

The girls laughed as another voice chimed in, "I heard he lay with other men."

"He's Gresani, Layla!" one woman said with a wave of her hand, "It would be strange if he didn't lay with another man every now and then. I think it's their custom or something?"

"I heard that he only lay with other men, Vayna," Layla retorted.

"He is quite handsome," Raycene said leaning in toward the other women.

The thought came to her just then, her mind wondering if she could make the shot in such a heavy crowd. He has Titans, soldiers, and dragons and I need to be closer and I need Matteo.

One man from the crowd approached Jaiko, but this one got his attention. He was very tall, dark-haired, muscular, and dressed in green.

"Who is he?" Vayna hissed.