Chapter 5

It wasn't until the next morning that Seviathan finally noticed that Charlotte was gone. He had fallen asleep with the TV on the night before and when he woke up, he saw a broadcast about her on the news.

"This woman seems to have no recollection of who she is or where she came from." The reporter said before showing a picture Charlotte in a hospital bed. "Doctors say that she is in perfect health but is suffering from a case of amnesia. She's recently been transferred to the Louisiana Mental Institute where trained psychiatrists will work to help her recover her memory. If anyone knows who this woman is please come to the local psychiatric ward and claim her."

Seviathan quickly got out of bed, got dressed, and drove to the mental institution mentioned in the report.

"Excuse me." He said approaching the front desk. "I think my wife is here."

A security guard led him down the hall and to a detention cell with a one-way mirror window. There he saw Charlotte surrounded by nurses and doctors, amnesic but absolutely furious with the situation.

"I am not crazy!" She screamed. "I do not belong here! Locked up like some kind of loon! Why haven't you idiots released me yet?!"

"Well we were hoping to talk to you first. See if you can remember anything about who you are."

"I can't! I have amnesia! But you all are acting like I'm a schizophrenic! I've lost my memory! Not my mind! Now I refuse! Refuse to be held here while no attempts are being made to get me back to where I was before!"

As Seviathan watched Charlotte pour forth a torrent of indignation, a slow smile spread over his face. As beautiful and rich as Charlotte was, she had proved to be a most troublesome wife. Too full of spirit which appeared to be the only thing left that existed of the naive, pathetic girl she was before he met her. And that spirit was getting more and more out of control. Seviathan couldn't take it anymore. He would have divorced her but when they got married they signed a prenuptial agreement and Charlotte's father had more money than God himself. He couldn't be rid of her without sacrificing a fortune.

But a golden opportunity had come his way this morning.

"Is this woman your wife?" The security guard asked him.

"No." He lied. "I've never seen her before in my life."

Then he got out of there as fast as possible, and returned to his yacht.

"Mrs. Von Eldritch has decided to leave me." He told the staff, his face composed into a mask of tragedy.

"Really?" Blitzo said almost elated. "Oh that's...Unfortunate. Shall we return to New York?"

"No. No." Seviathan said faking heartache. "I need time to think. To be alone. To heal. I think we should continue on to Los Angeles as planned."

"Without Mrs. Von Eldritch?" Moxxie asked suspiciously.

"I need time to forget. Excuse me gentlemen." He then slipped away to his quarters.

"Well great burning bush of Moses, I guess there is a God." Blitzo said. "And eh's answered our prayers."

"Well wait a minute, where did she go?" Moxxie asked.

"Who cares?" Bltizo said. "She's gone. Let's celebrate."

"But did she just up and leave out of the blue? Does she have a credit card with her or something? And why did she leave?"

"Again, who cares?"

"I do."

"You do? Why? She treated you like crap for years. She treated all of us like crap for years."